Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Immobilizer being weird.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Immobilizer being weird.

Hey everyone . . I dunno if this has happened to anyone before, but when I got out of work today I got in my car and went to start it. The engine turned, but it just wasn't starting. . Almost like it was outta gas. . Anyways. .I knew I had 3/4 of a tank left, so I was like WTF is wrong? Anyways. While I was trying to start it I noticed that the green key icon for the immobilizer was flashing at me. So I turned the key to the off position, pulled the key out, put it back in, turned it over. . Boom . . started right up.. Dunno if my key is going bad, or if it was just a fluke thing, or what. .
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
straightridah03 is an unknown quantity at this point
get it checked out...you have warranty right??
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

JIRZLEE is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, my girlfriends civic has done that before. If the sensor in the steering column doesn't detect the "chip" in the key for some reason, the fuel pump is disabled but the car will still turn over and try to start. Thats how the immobilizer is supposed to work - except for the thing about not detecting the key. I don't know what would cause the immobilizer to mess up like that though, maybe if your fingers happen to cover up the key really well and block the view of the sensor.
Old 07-28-2003
Registered!!

Chunie1stcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
same here ...i have had that problem...but didn't really give it a second thought till now
Old 07-30-2003
Registered!!

jkim1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
i had the same problem.. and took it to the dealers... and they had it for 2 days... and i ended up calling them.. to see if my car was ready.. and they said oh yeah.. come and pick it up... that was a waste of time.. i also called honda headquarters... and gave them the link to one of the posts that was on here like a year ago about the same problem.... but nothing seemed to happend.... anyways..... someone gave me a suggestion and i followed it... its your key.... they suck.... i switched my key with a spare one... and i don't have that problem anymore.... don't take it to the dealer... cause they are just going to waste your time..... and hold on to your car for like 2 days....