Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2 Questions Pleez

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rodney is an unknown quantity at this point
2 Questions Pleez

does anyone know if there is a difference in the dx,lx, and ex 5 speed transmission

i have a grind sometimes only when i take 2nd up to about 4.5rpm or higher and shift to 3rd anyone else have this problem or heard anything
Old 07-27-2003
Registered!!

XtremeJM is an unknown quantity at this point
no difference
Old 07-28-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by xtremejm
no difference
There is a difference. Figure it out before you post something dumb.

LX/DX
1st Gear 3.461
2nd Gear 1.869
3rd Gear 1.241
4th Gear 0.969
5th Gear 0.71
Final Drive 4.111

EX
1st Gear 3.142
2nd Gear 1.869
3rd Gear 1.241
4th Gear 0.969
5th Gear 0.756
Final Drive 4.411

There is a difference.

To the other question... thats a synchro going bad. There's a TSB about 2nd gear grinding and popping. Take it in.
Old 07-28-2003
Registered!!

cool thanks man i dont understand the gear ratios though could u explain it if not i understand rodney = tranny noob
Old 07-28-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Ok... lemme take a crack at this. I know what they do, I just don't know if I can explain it real well.

Your engine always has the same rev range, idle to redline. However, that is not a large enough band to provide both low range power and high end speed. The gears magnify the rev range to give you power at low speed and the ability to operate at high speed.
I'll use EX gears for an example.
Ever tried to get your car moving in 4th? It just isn't gonna happen. The engine doesn't make the torque to move the car from a standstill. now... throw it in 1st... it goes no problem. You're basically using a gear 3.142 times larger than the "engine gear" (there really isn't such a thing). So what it does is let the engine rev faster, thus giving you the power you need to roll. Then from there, the gears get progressively shorter since the static inertia is gone. You'll notice by the time you hit 3rd or 4th, the RPMS won't climb nearly as fast as they do in 1st.... That's cuz the gears are "shorter".
Gear Ratios are different in every car, the final drive effects it too... we've got pretty tall final drives... the final drive basically helps the car to stay in some sort of "ideal range" of power... what ever that means. You'll see people messing with their final drive gear, especially on drag cars (so they don't run out of gear right before the end). Lower final drives are good for quicker acceleration, higher is good for top end. Every car is a bit different, you'll find every car has it's own shift points etc... example... my dad's 325Xi is a 5 speed, but it's basically a 4 speed with an overdrive. 5th is 1:1, but it's got a 3.8 final drive... it pulls about 3K RPM at 55 MPH in 4th. Meanwhile, my car would be rolling in 5th at about the same RPM. So every car is different.
I hope i didn't mess you up too much... I don't really know how to explain it too well.
Maybe try www.howstuffworks.com
Old 07-28-2003
Registered!!

that was really good thanks