Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

V-tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question V-tech

Lately my 00 Civic Si has been acting wierd. Before my V-tech would always kick in around 5500 RPM no matter if the car was cold or hot. Now the V-tech won't kick in unless the engine is warms up.....

Is there anything I can do so the system will work properly again no matter if the engine is cold or hot?

Old 07-23-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
It's VTEC not Vtech. It's on a sticker next to the door on your car AND on the valvetrain cover... yet you still don't know what the **** its called?
I think there's supposed to be some sort of a lock on the High lift unless the oil is up to temp. The S2000 works that way, and from what I'm told so does the RSX-S. Besides that, its dumb to rip the engine up while its cold, everything is tight and you'll prematurely wear the cylinder walls. So what are you doing it for in the first place?
Old 07-25-2003
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Umm... there is NO VTEC until the car warms up, even on B series, F series, H series, whatever, needs to warm up!
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Boilermaker1
It's VTEC not Vtech. It's on a sticker next to the door on your car AND on the valvetrain cover... yet you still don't know what the **** its called?
LOL

Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
dude why are you revving your car to 5500 rpm before it's warmed up anyway? do yourself a favor and take proper care of your car.
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

malice29r is an unknown quantity at this point
On the subject of high revving + cold engines:

I live kinda close to a highway, and sometimes if i'm in a hurry I don't have time to baby it til I have to merge.. Is it bad to rev it to 4000 when the temp guage is approx. 2 marks up?

Also, when is the earliest (temperature wise) that you can start running it to 6k? As soon as the temp guage gets to as high as it will go (halfway), or should you give it a few more mins yet?

thanks
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

rodney is an unknown quantity at this point
i call nobody with an SI would call it V-TECH LOL

j/k
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by malice29r

I live kinda close to a highway, and sometimes if i'm in a hurry I don't have time to baby it til I have to merge.. Is it bad to rev it to 4000 when the temp guage is approx. 2 marks up?

Also, when is the earliest (temperature wise) that you can start running it to 6k? As soon as the temp guage gets to as high as it will go (halfway), or should you give it a few more mins yet?

thanks
IMO revving to 4000 isnt too big of a problem, but 5500 is another story. for me, I don't take it up to 6k for at least 5-10 minutes after starting the engine.
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

prccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by dragoon
dude why are you revving your car to 5500 rpm before it's warmed up anyway? do yourself a favor and take proper care of your car.

Seriously...allittle care would be nice..
Old 07-25-2003
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by rodney

j/k
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by rodney

j/k
Old 07-26-2003
cool beans

zinkyroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow I didnt know honda put V-TECH phones in their cars these days...
Old 07-26-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by zinkyroo
Wow I didnt know honda put V-TECH phones in their cars these days...

Yep, thats their racing secret
Old 07-26-2003
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
Re: V-tech

Originally posted by Restin
Lately my 00 Civic Si has been acting wierd. Before my V-tech would always kick in around 5500 RPM no matter if the car was cold or hot. Now the V-tech won't kick in unless the engine is warms up.....

Is there anything I can do so the system will work properly again no matter if the engine is cold or hot?

1. VTEC not V-tech

2. 5500 rpm is WAY too high when the engine is cold, hell even when it's warmed up 5500 should be used sparingly even though Honda is tough. Racing and highway driving is the ONLY time I go above 4000.

3. I think you can set aside five lousy minutes to let your car warm up, and if you can't you should wake up earlier or quit hitting the snooze button!

I have a friend that, during the winter mind you, decided he was pissed at his mom and got in his car, left rubber in the driverway, and no sooner did he get to the end of the street he had a rod through the hood. Idiot. Cold metal breaks like ice. Simple common sense. So be careful!
Old 07-26-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by malice29r

thanks
Ok... heres the deal with that. The temp gauge on the dash sucks. It's an idiot thing for people who don't care. If it really worked, it would be bouncing all over the place as you drove... but anyways. I go off oil pressure to see if the engine's warmed up. When it's up to operating temp, the oil pressure will read about 15 PSI at idle. That's when I consider the car good and ready. It usually takes about 5 minutes to get there, long after that idiot gauge on the dash goes as high as it's going.