Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Here we go... again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Here we go... again...

Last week it was in for what seems to be the start of the left front shock going, 4 months ago, the right one blew, before that it was the clutch... 5 times. Now I've got transmission issues. I looked through the TSBs and here and didn't find this, so those of you who had some sort of M/T issue or another tell me if this was part of it...
When you go to engage 1st gear, I hear a "jingle" for lack of a better term. But it's only 1st that does it (I think that rules out the clutch). Starting from a stop in 2nd makes no noise at all. Haven't tried third... it's a bit tough to get the car started. Now... is this the sound of my transmission disintegrating, something loose, or just another noise. I checked the axles and CV joints and everything seems clean and intact. The brakes aren't scraping either. So WTF?!? Oh and my car has 22300 mi. on it if there's some self-destruct milage that I've all of a sudden hit.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 07-14-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
When I first put my Revo in, I heard a bit of a "jingle" noise. Kind of like someone tapping a bell or something. I went through and tightened everything and that took care of it so far as I can tell.

I'm hearing you on the self-destruct mileage though. I've got 24K on mine, my ABS light is on, my seat's a rockin, my clutch squeaks again (already lubed it, didn't help this time), my headliner looks like it's not attached to the roof firmly around the moonroof opening... bah. I thought I left this stuff behind at the Honda dealer when I traded in my GM product
Old 07-13-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Tightened everything... meaning what? The shift linkage? Or the hubs and stuff? I doublechecked the lugnuts, and they're ok...
Old 07-14-2003
Registered!!

I tightened everything around the Revo that I messed with to put it in. The clip that holds the shift linkage in had worked itself loose, and I tightened the 4 mounting bolts as well.
Old 07-14-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

nah... than you had something different than this. I think the wonderful service staff at honda didn't torque the front wheels down after they were done on friday... cuz once I did that, the noise stopped for the most part. It still does it sometimes. I still wonder why it only did it in 1st, and not 2nd though.... I would think if it was the bearings, they'd scratch and jingle all the time, so I dunno...
I guess I'll just have to keep my ears open for more wierd noises.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 07-14-2003 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-14-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you mean you hear this sound when you push the shifter into first, and then engage the clutch ... as the clutch engages, the "jingle" happens? Like bells? hmm ... not so sure that sound would be caused by improperly torqued wheels, since you would hear it all the time like you said. Maybe you can drive slowly past someone else standing next to the car, and have them listen from the outside to locate the sound.
Old 07-14-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

and then engage the clutch ... as the clutch engages, the "jingle" happens? Like bells?
yah... thats what's going on. It wasn't the wheels, its still making noise. I had my bro driving it last night while I was looking for it... I don't know what's messed up. The Honda service moron is calling the Tech line to see if its been reported before. It's only 1st that does. I don't think the clutch is the problem... because that would make the noise even when I start from a dead stop in 2nd. Once the clutch is out and the car is rolling... thats the end of the noise I hear. I just wonder if the car has a mod sensor in it. It seems to break everytime I wanna throw more money at it. Seems to be, "Oh ****! He want's XXXXX part?? Time to break!"
So much for a new exhaust this week.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 07-14-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

This stoopid thought just popped into my head... I wonder if it's the brakes...
That stupid scratchy thing that tells you they're gone. It wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure Autocrossing makes stock pads really happy.
Old 07-14-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Still doesn't explain why it happens only in first though
Old 07-14-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Brakes ruled out... it's in the drive train... I'm sure of it. But I don't know what.... it sounds like something's loose.
Old 07-16-2003
Registered!!

I don't know if it would make any difference at all, but there's a redesigned slave cylinder out for our cars apparently. My dealer put one in after I complained about my clutch sqeaking like an old mattress. I haven't picked it up yet, so I can't confirm, but it might be an option. My seat bushings and wheel speed sensors are still on order though.

Boilermaker, I seem to have the opposite problem. My car was perfect until I went back to stock and sold all of my stuff. Now it's acting up!
Old 07-16-2003
Titanium Metallic. You got a problem with that?

Nodnero has a spectacular aura aboutNodnero has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like major bad luck yo.
Old 07-16-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

The supposed deal... the "jingle" is apparently the spring that holds the brake pad in the caliper. I'm calling BS, I'm so sick of it. I'm just gonna take that to my mom's mechanic and have them sort it out. The Honda moron says it's "normal" and every car does it... but I've never heard any other car jingle because the pads were shifting in the caliper. Pure bullshit if you ask me. On the other hand... they're taking apart my suspension tomorrow to figure out why the spring is making a reverberation noise (Boing).