Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

Car battery dead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thicpotato is an unknown quantity at this point
Car battery dead?

This happened after i left the AC on (at max) while the engine/car was off. 5 minute later, i tried to start the car but it was completely dead. The problem have been going on ever since. I have to jumpstart the car to get anywhere because the battery is dead whenever i turn off the car. My question is, have anyone had this problem before? Could it be stucked AC relay? Or just a dead battery? Or alternator that need to be replaced? The car funtions well when its running, all lights are on etc etc, only problem is when i turn it off.
Honda civic hatchback 2008 model 1.3L .
Old 10-03-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Car battery dead?

if battery was old when you let it fully drain once, chances is you killed it
Old 10-03-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
if battery was old when you let it fully drain once, chances is you killed it
problem is that, the dude I bought the car from said the battery is new. 2-3 month old.
Old 10-03-2021
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

What does the battery say? It'll have a month and year stickered on the top somewhere.
Old 10-03-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
What does the battery say? It'll have a month and year stickered on the top somewhere.

not sure, but it looks like this.
btw, I'm able to use the key system and there is light in the dashboard when I connect the key but the car won't start. Its weird that it have some juice left for electronic but won't start without me jumping it.

Radio and AC arent working though (when it's not jump started)
Old 10-03-2021
Click Here

FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

That sounds like a bad battery. I'd start there.

You can see a vague imprint of a sticker on the bottom right. It looks to have been removed. I'm guessing it's older than advertised.
Old 10-03-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,138 Likes on 952 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

90% sure dead battery
Old 10-04-2021
Registered!!

Probably a stupid question but how can there be power on the dashboard and key system working if the battery is bad/dead? Also, why is there no "bad battery" symbol on the dashboard.
Old 10-04-2021

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Because that doesn't put any real load on the battery. Starting puts a big load on the battery. It most likely has a bad cell. You can get a parts store to test it if you want. You're going to have to bring it in for the core charge on the new battery anyways
Old 10-04-2021
Registered!!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
123Krash is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like mine did when the starter was bad.. randomly it would start, or not. Auto so no push and pop clutch. The remote lock/unlock systems work, horn, lights work, radio works, but not start, turn key nothing. Jump, charge, replace battery, randonly it would start but sometines it would not.

Many auto stores, Pep-Boys, AutoZone..., will check battery & charging system for free.
Old 10-04-2021
Registered!!

Battery test showed 10v, when dead. Didn't measure when engine was running. What thing that worries me is the posture of the battery (look at picture). It's standing way too loose with no attachment hooking It. Could that be the reason for its short coming? Too much trauma etc etc?
Old 10-04-2021
Registered!!

10v is dead like doornail...

Measure while running, let it run 20 or 30 minutes turn off, measure it, then wait an hour or over night and measure again before trying to start.
How long will it the car run when you jump start, turn head lights and AC on ?
Old 10-04-2021
Click Here

Like Krash said, 10V is toast.

I wouldn’t worry about how the battery is mounted.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021

Technically you need the battery hold down for safety, but that isn't causing your problem.
Replace the battery, 10v is definitely a bad cell
Old 10-05-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Technically you need the battery hold down for safety, but that isn't causing your problem.
Replace the battery, 10v is definitely a bad cell
Unless maybe you do a lot of off-roading. You could pull the battery if you think it may have physical damage and inspect it. The positive terminal looks well protected and the 2 bad things that could happen and would be evident is a hard bounce it could short out to the hood and you would see a burn mark, or a crack/break in the battery case then you would see corroded metal where chemicals leaked out. I would, mpo, add a clamp when you resolve the issue.

sdaidoji (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

get a battery charger, fully charge it and see if there are considerable draining after that.
use multimeter to check in fuse boxes if any draining.
if no draining, then battery is goner.
worry about charging after you check battery condition.
123Krash (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021

Originally Posted by 123Krash
Unless maybe you do a lot of off-roading.
It's required for safety inspection here in Ontario.
In an accident the battery could become a projectile.

I don't the lack of hold down is what caused the battery to go bad. I think it was weak and then OP killed it by running the fans
Old 10-05-2021
Registered!!

U-pull junk yard, or used parts seller... can't cost much for the clamp, temp if it bothers you a short ratchet strap.

A good battery, even if drained dead should take a charge, out of car disconnected, (not sitting on concrete floor), and use a trickle charger.

A bad battery may fool you, after a charge it may look, measure 12+ volts, for a little while.

Again, go to a place. like AutoZone/Pepboys, and ask if they can check it. Here in the US they will come out to the car with a tester, even a jump box if needed, and test the battery and charging system.
Colin42 (10-05-2021)