Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

2012 civic hybrid ima problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jkichline is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 civic hybrid ima problem

My hybrid has about 137,000 and has not had any issues until today. As I approached a red light, the IMA system stopped working. No brake assist, no auto off,no hybrid assist. I limped back home as cvt was not downshifting. Also couldn’t rev above 2000 rpm in neutral. Made it home and read codes.here’s what I got....
P0DA8 no DTC definition
P0AE1 hybrid propulsion
P0A27 battery power off circuit

12 v battery measures 12.67v without engine running. Started engine and voltage dropped to 11.9, but goes to 14.7 when revving. Battery is original... turned engine off, hooked up float charger and allowed to charge to 100% (started at 84%).
cleared codes and P0AE1 remains after clear. Still cannot rev above 2000. Feels like rev limiter kicks in. I’m not sure where to start. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks!!!
Since original post... disconnected 12v battery for 30 minutes, reconnected and same symptoms persist. Took all IMA related fuses out to measure and they are all ok so I put them back in. Took out back seat and battery cover. Battery measures 152v. Not sure what to do next. Will probably call dealer Monday morning... I attached picture of rear battery just because... maybe someone can point me in the right direction

10-2-2019 update. Car is at Lehigh Valley Honda in Allentown, PA,. The appointment was for yesterday but they finally pulled it in the shop today. They say the power inverter is bad and needs to be replaced. The part number is 18200-RW0-000. They quoted $3587.73 ($2967 for part only).
They can no longer get the car started and claim I cannot drive it without replacing the inverter.
I asked them to please recharge the 12V battery so I don't have to replace it due to being totally drained. They claimed charging a 12V battery is no different than jumping it. That's the first time I've heard that. When I challenged that, he stuck to what he said. I am now considering bringing it home and doing the work myself. Also getting second opinion from the dealer I purchased the vehicle from.

Another update... so I went to the dealer to check out the car. The 12v battery was in fact too weak to start the engine. I hooked up my own charger, allowed it to charge to 99% and it started right up. They ran a (12v) battery test earlier and it failed. My first question was ... if there is a problem with the 12v battery, could that cause the symptoms with the IMA system? They say no. I tend to disagree. I will bring the car home tomorrow, put a new 12v battery in it, then maybe buy the new power inverter if it doesn’t solve the problem.
They’re telling me the new 12v battery will die if I don’t replace the inverter because the charging system doesn’t work. But when I run the car and rev the motor, I see 14v on the battery. How can they say that?

When I read about this vehicle before I purchased it, it said that if there is a battery failure, it could be driven in gas only mode. Apparently, this does not seem to be the case.

i see this post has been read more than 100 times but no replies. Do you think it’s in the right section?

I welcome anyone who has advice to please chime in. Thanks in Advance!!!!

Jason Kichline

Last edited by Jkichline; 10-02-2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-21-2019
Registered!!

Jordan Hannibal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2012 civic hybrid ima problem

hi Jason, I seem to be having the same problem, were you able to get the vehicle fixed or find a work-around? Thanks! - Jordan
Old 01-09-2020
Registered!!

Hf2272 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having same codes p0a27 and p0ae1. Dealer wanted over $5k to fix.
If you have gotten this solved, please let me know.
Old 02-19-2020
Registered!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wildcat445 is an unknown quantity at this point

The OP posted elsewhere about the problem, and found an answer. It's an interesting read.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...nverter-32102/

I'm looking at a 2012 Civic not too far away that was diagnosed with a bad inverter, and since the car is so inexpensive, I could come out ahead if I bought the car and a new inverter online from one of the Honda parts suppliers for about $1,800. I only see three listings for the inverter on car-part.com. (No eBay or LKQ listings at the moment.) Since the OP found the actual part in the inverter that failed, and the inverter has three of these parts (called an IBGT), if I bought a used inverter that had one of these IBGTs blown, there are two others I could use from it. There is soldering involved, but that's no big deal for me. These are OEM-only parts, so it's not like we can buy new Mitsubishi IBGT modules and replace them ourselves.

The one thing holding me back is that all the automotive reviews of the 2012 Hybrid were not favorable towards the IMA system, saying it jerked a lot as it transitioned between modes. But in reality, I could also flip it after fixing it if we didn't like it.