Brakes Post information/questions/Issues about Brakes here.

Brake Caliper Piston Won't Retract

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07DXHondaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Caliper Piston Won't Retract

I have an 07 Honda Civic DX and I am replacing my front brakes at the moment. Last night, I replaced the old brakes and put in new ones but then I noticed the brake caliper was in the way. So, I tried to retract it with a C-Clamp and that didn't work, I tried bleeding the brakes by removing the nipple and that didn't work, so I pumped the brake, while the car was on and E-brake off, and noticed that the rubber sleeve was full and tight of brake fluid. I slightly lifted the sleeve and brake fluid sprayed everywhere. Is that the reason why the caliper will not retract? If anyone knows how to easily retract the caliper can you please give me some advice? I would greatly appreciate it!

P.S. Called Honda Dealer and they said they can't help me out over the phone. That I have to tow it in and pay $150 for a diagnosis.
Old 07-24-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,319 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Brake Caliper Piston Won't Retract

Not a site concern, moving to correct section.

If you can't get the piston to go back in using a C clamp then it has seized and needs replaced. The rubber boot around the piston should not have brake fluid under it, it is just to keep out contaminants.
Old 07-24-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Not a site concern, moving to correct section.

If you can't get the piston to go back in using a C clamp then it has seized and needs replaced. The rubber boot around the piston should not have brake fluid under it, it is just to keep out contaminants.
Thanks BrotatoChip. What parts do I need to replace?
Old 07-24-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,319 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The caliper.
Old 07-24-2020
Registered!!

So I didn't have to replace it. I left it alone, went to sleep and woke up (about 10 hours later) and the caliper retracted as if nothing happened. Maybe the brake fluid built up and needed time to escape on its own. There has to be a quicker way. Anyways, if anyone runs into this problem just try letting it sit for a couple of hours. I was pretty dang sure it seized but apparently it wasn't. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2020
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

so I pumped the brake,
Sounds like you didn't have the caliper(s) installed, nor the piston blocked to limit travel, so your pumping the pedal had pushed the piston out of its bore so far it went past the inner (hydraulic) piston seal.
You shouldn't have pumped the pedal until the brakes were reassembled.

Watch out for possible complications in the future such as continued fluid leakage or maybe a dragging brake