Brakes Post information/questions/Issues about Brakes here.

Parking Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tekcap is an unknown quantity at this point
Parking Brake Adjustment

Went to the garage today for a simple tire change, but when I picked up my car the mechanic said "I adjusted your parking brake for free". I got in my car and drove home and when I pulled my parking brake up, I noticed I could only get it up to 1, maybe 2 clicks max. I'm pretty sure it should be at 6-7 clicks. Is this going to wear things out prematurely? I'm starting to wonder if he adjusted the parking brake itself under the console, or did he play with something around the rear tires while he was changing them. This is a 2015 civic and I've had no issues with the brakes or parking brake, so it's really odd that he would do this. Garage is closed for the weekend and I can't really call him and complain because I don't even know if he did anything wrong.
Old 05-24-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Parking Brake Adjustment

Jack up a rear wheel with the parking brake off and give it a spin, as long as it spins freely you should be fine. Check the other side as well
Old 05-25-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Jack up a rear wheel with the parking brake off and give it a spin, as long as it spins freely you should be fine. Check the other side as well

Here you go, what do you think?

Old 05-25-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

That looks fine to me, maybe he adjusted it inside the car
Old 05-27-2019
Registered!!

I spoke to him today, and he adjusted it on the shoes. Still no real explanation as to why he did this. I don't think having some friction is a good idea, in my opinion the wheel should turn much more freely than that. If I look at a civic service manual for a few generations back, they don't suggesting adjusting until the shoes drag slightly. I feel like that drag he created is going to give me shitty gad mileage and wear the pads out faster.

5.Pull the parking brake lever 1 click.
6.Tighten the parking brake adjusting nut until the parking brakes drag slightly when the rear wheels are turned.
7.Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that the parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on that section, but for my 2015 civic. I wonder if the instructions are the same.