Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Parking Brake Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sawdust_tom is an unknown quantity at this point
Parking Brake Not Working

Here's my story, I'll try to keep it brief.

2000 Civic EX Coupe (daughter's car) - brakes go spongy and I figure out that the brake lines are rusting through across the bottom of car (inside the plastic grating). Dad knows best (and he's cheap) so I replace every inch of brake line on the car (I mean it, every inch) using this cool rust-proof, bendable line from AutoZone. Did all the flare fittings myself - not one leaker!

Rear drums are old and worn so I replace everything on the rear brakes from the backing plate out - new pads, wheel cylinder, springs, etc. Bleed the whole system in the proper order.

Here's the problem, the parking brake is useless. I tried adjusting according to instructions from Haynes but it didn't work. I must have done something wrong but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions for solving this problem?
Old 08-22-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Parking Brake Not Working

Did you check the physical integrity of the parking brake cables? Or if they somehow became detached at either the parking brake assembly or the rear brakes themselves?
Old 08-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Did you check the physical integrity of the parking brake cables? Or if they somehow became detached at either the parking brake assembly or the rear brakes themselves?
Here's what I've done so far. Removed center console and both cables are connected to the equalizer assembly. Ran the adjusting nut in as far as it would go - that didn't help, pull up on the brake and the equalizer assembly runs into the brake lever pivot hardware - loosen the adjusting nut so I can get a full pull (about 9 or 10 clicks) and the rear wheels just spin.

Jacked it up, took off the tire and new drum and had daughter pull up on the brake. It seems like the max amount of pull isn't enough to lever the pads hard up against the drum.

Thought the brake cables might be stretched, used a simple trick to shorten the cables at the equalizer assembly. Same problem - the max amount of pull doesn't seem to be enough to lever the pads up against the drum. The cables are definitely connected to the parking brake lever inside the drums.

I used cheap, AutoZone hardware to rebuild the rear drum brakes, I wonder if I shouldn't have used better stuff?
Old 08-22-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Correct me if I am wrong but shouldnt the parking brake have anywhere from 13-16 clicks.
Old 08-22-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

may haynes manual says 6-7 for the 7thgen coupe/sedan and 7-8 for the EP3.. I'd imagine it would be similar for the 6thgen
Old 08-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
may haynes manual says 6-7 for the 7thgen coupe/sedan and 7-8 for the EP3.. I'd imagine it would be similar for the 6thgen
Haynes says "6 to 9 " clicks for a 2000 Civic. The problem is that this amount of "pull" doesn't do anything to stop the rear wheels from turning.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this problem themselves and what they did to fix it?