Auto Transmission failures Post your issues with auto transmission failures here. 01-03 have had a high failure rates

2001 ex transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
crabbydad is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 ex transmission problem

I was driving my 2001 civic ex automatic the other day and out of nowhere it revved up(transmission slipped). I continued on to where i was going with no issues. When I got home I checked the fluid and the level was ok and the fluid seemed ok, not burned. The next day i started it up and drove up and down our long driveway a few times. It was slipping and slow going in to gear. I left it running and checked the fluid again and looked around to see if any sensor wires were unplugged. when I got back in, it would not go into any gear, so I pushed it back to its spot. The next day I came out and started it and it went into gear and would move, nut transmission was whining fairly loud. No check engine lights on the dash.
Any thoughts?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,139 Likes on 953 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2001 ex transmission problem

Trans is known to be the weak point on the 01-02. Get a trans from an 04-05
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Click Here

Received 1,158 Likes on 905 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

If P0730 isn’t showing, I’m betting it’s stored. Put a code reader on it anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

I checked and there were no codes
I picked up a transmission from a guy who said it had been rebuilt with a little less than 14,000 miles on the rebuild and the car was rear ended, so he pulled the trans before scrapping the car. I started on pulling the transmission today. Lots of metal on drain plug and fluid was dark, so I think it was done, especially with knowing the history with this year transmission. 199,000 miles on the car. Contemplating swapping the engine out with a JDM while I have the transmission out. It burns oil and there is a leak that looks like its coming from the head gasket.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

burning oil and headgasket are two other common issues in this car.
Oil is from carbon deposits sticking to the oil rings and collapsing them.
Headgasket is expected to fail every 100k miles or so.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,337 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I've never seen a head gasket leak oil externally. You should look at other locations for the source.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

Now that I have the transmission out, I can get a better look to see where it is leaking. Possibly back side of valve cover. I would like to fix this, the leak made a mess of the transmission. Replacement transmission doesn't have the locating dowels in it and hard to get the old ones out without deforming them a little , so I am going to make new ones. (I'm a machinist)
BrotatoChip (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

There is also a plastic plug for the end of the camshaft that is a known oil leak spot. Only other common leak would be VTEC solenoid (if it's not the valve cover gasket).
Colin42 (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

thanks a lot, appreciate it, I will check those out.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

a lot of oil around the solenoid and the camshaft plug, so I'm replacing the solenoid gaskets and cam plug. Good call BrotatoChip, Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by crabbydad:
BrotatoChip (2 Weeks Ago), sdaidoji (1 Week Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Might as well do the valve cover gasket as well!