Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Civic 2014 EX Intake Manifold & Valve Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heybeats is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 2014 EX Intake Manifold & Valve Cleaning

Folks,
I'm struggling to understand my no code random misfires on all cylinders.
I Made a post before
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/355-engine/386498-misfire-low-gas-mileage-2014-ex.html

Anyways, it's at about 235,000km and the issue persist. The fuel pressure is correct so there's no issue with the fuel pump.

I was probably thinking I should scope around intake manifold and intake valve. A service advisor at Honda said that with high mileage vehicles they do fuel injection and intake cleaning.

​​​​​​I thought these were port injectors so the valves should be kept relatively clean.

The maintenance on this vehicle gets performed religiously. I have even adjusted the intake and exhaust valves and they are within specs from my last adjustment.

Has anyone had to perform any intake manifold cleaning and intake valve cleaning on this car as a maintenance? Did you find it was necessary?
Old 12-17-2023
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Civic 2014 EX Intake Manifold & Valve Cleaning

Never done a clean but it may not hurt to check your compression. Depending on what your oil change intervals were, there could be some bypass as the engine continues to wear. 235k would be premature but not implausible.
Old 12-17-2023
Registered!!

That's one thing I haven't done.
I'll do a compression test. Never done one but it seems easy enough.

My oil gets changed every 6000 km or so. The most stretched it out was 8000 km. I use the oil and filter from the dealership. The car doesn't burn oil excessively. I think maybe the most it burns is probably about 1/2 quart maybe less.
Old 12-19-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I apologize if I missed it, but have you checked valve lash?
Old 12-19-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
I apologize if I missed it, but have you checked valve lash?
Yep. Twice. The good news is that it doesn't tick as much.
I also checked and made sure that the timing was good and nothing skipped. All the marking lined up.

I noticed that the oil/air separator cover is leaking oil just a little bit. It's not major and not impacting oil levels. I don't know if it's enough to upset anything?

Someone suggested that I should clean the EGR port passages to the block. I have a flexible steel wire and I was going to stick it in and see if it helps.

My local Honda said that the gaskets for the intake manifold are on back order and they haven't really sold any because they haven't had to take the intake manifold out for any servicing.

I'm all open for suggestions.
​​​​