Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Engine rattling when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smccloy is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine rattling when accelerating

My engine is rattling when I accelerate, especially when I hit about 2,500-3,000 rpm. It sounds a bit like a chain. From what I can tell, the noise comes from the passenger side of the engine. I don't hear anything when I rev in neutral or when I maintain a constant speed. I took it to a mechanic, and they didn't hear anything. I drove away from the shop and heard it immediately. Today I faintly heard it when in park. I heard it my whole commute. At the end of my commute, I put it back in park and listened again but did hear it. To be fair, the engine mount blocks send vibrations after it runs a while, so the rattling might have just been masked on the other end of my commute when in park.

I have seen other threads mentioning 2,500-3,000 rpm, but most of them hear something when idling or in neutral. I do not.

My car is a 2009 Civic with about 180k miles. Everything on the car is stock, and it's an automatic. Some threads suggest a catalytic converter issue, but I replaced that a year ago.

Any thoughts? I'm taking it to a second mechanic, but I want to be armed with questions/things to ask them to look for. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2021
Click Here

Received 1,158 Likes on 905 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Engine rattling when accelerating

Has it ever had a valve adjustment?
Old 07-07-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
Has it ever had a valve adjustment?
Not to my knowledge. I'll look into that. Thank you for your suggestion.

Forgive my ignorance, but if it's a valve lifter noise, should I expect to hear it while revving in neutral? Most videos on YouTube I'm finding of valve lifter noises on other cars are demonstrated in neutral while revving. I don't hear it when I rev in neutral. I really only hear it in drive.
Old 07-08-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

did you drop anything when the hood was open?
Old 07-08-2021
Registered!!

I didn't drop anything, and I looked around and didn't see anything foreign (e.g., leaf, plastic, etc.) in the engine bay.
Old 07-08-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,146 Likes on 960 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Check heat shields, on one of my 05s the lower bracket for the exhaust manifold broke and would make a horrible noise, took me forever to find it