Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2006 EX, slow to warm up

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyKidsCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 EX, slow to warm up

Hi everyone,

I have 2006 civic EX, it wouldn't heat up when I let it warm up. The temp gauge would not move unless I drove it, then it wouldn't go past half on temp gauge.
The upper rad hose would get warm, the bottom would be cold. So I replaced the thermostat based on reading other threads.
Same issue. I can let in run in my heated garage for 30 minutes, gauge will get to half, upper hose warm, lower cold, and the rad fan will not turn on.

It blows warm after the gauge gets to half

looking for help as it's my kids civic and she needs this car

Thanks

Old 02-09-2021
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2006 EX, slow to warm up

Honda’s are notorious for not cooperating with aftermarket sensors. Did you buy an OEM one?

Assuming the thermostat is okay, the coolant level is fine and there are no leaks, it could be a heater core.
Old 02-09-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyKidsCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I put in a aftermarket thermostat.
Old 02-09-2021
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

I won’t guarantee that’s the problem, but it’s probable. Some people have had luck with them, but they fail more often than not.
Old 02-09-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

2006 is a 8th gen car, engine is very different.
Moving to proper section
Old 02-10-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Everything you said sounds fairly normal. It's just a little 1.8L, it's going to take some time to warm up especially if it's cold out. The lower rad staying cold isn't a concern unless the engine is overheating.
Old 02-14-2021
Registered!!

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

I have a 7th gen so it may be a bit different, but my car acts the same way yours does and my cooling system is working great. These are small engines, so it's going to take some time to get up to temperature. The temp gauge should be at half at normal operating temp...that's normal. If idling only (even in a heated garage), it will probably take a LONG time for the cooling fan to come on. You'd have to drive for a while and then let it sit and idle.

Also, I RARELY see my temp gauge go past half except when idling in hot weather. The cooling fan kicks in only slightly after half on the gauge reading.

Do you have the heater fan blowing while you're warming it up? That will affect the time it takes the engine to warm up depending on the fan setting. If the fan setting is on high or even medium, the engine may never get hot while idling.