Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2007 Honda Civic Doesn't Start Dash Lights Dim

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackhead is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Honda Civic Doesn't Start Dash Lights Dim

Hi everyone,
I have a 2007 Honda Civic I just bought off a guy. He thought car didnt start because of battery. I switched battery but it still doesnt start. Heres the symptoms:
(i) Turn key no click no nothing
(ii) In position ii of key the dash lights come on extremely dim then go out. Makes a very small noise as well. Cant tell what it is. That also stops when lights go out
(iii) Dome light works, horn works

I quickly replaced negative battery cable and checked ground just to see as I had a working one there and thought it was grounding out or something. No difference. Thats it for today as I had only allotted time to change battery. It seems electrical. I can post a video if necessary.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2007 Honda Civic Doesn't Start Dash Lights Dim

Sounds like the starter is pulling all the power, try smacking it and see if that helps, if not grab one from the junkyard, way more reliable and cheaper than a crappy parts store one
Old 11-04-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You bought a car that doesn't run? Is the engine locked up?

Power loss through a cable, cable clamp, or any other high amperage connection point?

Inspect the Ground cable where it bolts to the frame, it can get really corroded/rusty where it bolts on. Same for the other fat cable nearby that goes from frame to transmission.

Battery good?
Many people replace starters, but I'd sure want proof before I waste time and money on that.

A little working knowledge of electricity and some diagnostic ability can save you a crapton of time and money. A $3 test light might provide seriously correct answers if one knows how to use it

Get your airbag recall status checked ASAP, see links below
Old 11-04-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Locked up engine is also a possibility
Old 11-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackhead is an unknown quantity at this point

So I have solved the problem. It seemed to be two fold.
(i) Firstly, battery I put in it was low(er) than it should be. While it would start an identical car with no issue it must have run down a bit trying to start this car (And the car it came out of had blown a rod... so a few attempts at getting that engine to turn over had run it lower). Upon boosting it wouldn't start but then a new problem became clear
(ii) Alternator was seized. Had been sat up a few months. Upon hooking the wrench onto it and working it loose car started up fine and charged battery and all is well!

Thanks for the fast replies! Great community!
Old 11-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackhead
(ii) Alternator was seized.
I wasn't expecting to hear that one, but it could certainly cause the same effect as a seized engine.
Glad you got it going!

Don't forget to check your recall status and get them taken care of ASAP