Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Chamois (sp?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicman10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Chamois (sp?)

I've been using one of these for the past month or so and I was wondering whats the proper way to maintain one of these? Also whats the best drying technique to get the best results? How often should you wring it out? Thanks in advance
Old 04-13-2003
Registered!!

rudeboy666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Same here.

That chamois definitely makes a difference( I love that rag!).

I'm still trying to figure out the most proper and efficient way to use it. Still, so far it seems to be working out great.

Only advice(from my limited knowledge) is to make sure that it is clean. Maybe let it soak in a bucket(with good soap) in order to dissolve any dirt, particles, etc....

Shout out to the Chamois!
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

Slizo is an unknown quantity at this point
My dad taught me how to detail cars using a chamois, so I naturally started using one when I bought my first car, a black civic.

IMO, they are a pain in the *** to keep clean, and if it's not clean it's going to leave swirlies on the paint. I used a gentle dish soap and let it soak in the sink, but that took forever and it was really hard to rinse in completely so all the soap was gone. A harsher soap will remove some of the leathery oil that makes the chamois so soft.

When to wring? Well, it needs to still be absorbent, so wring it when it stops picking up water, but don't wring it dry. A dry chamois isn't good on the paint.

I liked to throw out my chamois every few months to make sure I was always rubbing a soft, clean one over my car. My dad kept his forever, but they get crusty after a while.

(although I switched to using a california water blade and towels and haven't looked back since. Cuts my drying time by 2/3 easily, and no worries about swirl marks)
Old 04-14-2003
Registered!!

Huh_Oh Sh*t! is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend used the california water balde n his windows n that **** scratched his windows. it left str8 vertical lines on it. it mush have been dust dragged onto the blade. it does cut the drying time by alot i used it once it was so great on the windows! just make sure u alwayz wipe the blade with a towel to clean off the dirt on the blade or else the same thing may happen to u.
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

MMILX is an unknown quantity at this point
water blade, synthetic drying cloth (works better than most of the chamois I've had) and on some occasions if I am lazy, I get the yard blower to dry the car, followed by quik detailer on a rag for the final touch...
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

SilverSport is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by MMILX
if I am lazy, I get the yard blower to dry the car, followed by quik detailer on a rag for the final touch...
dang man, that is lazy.
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

Actually, where it comes in really handy is if you have a car that holds a lot of water. My old 99 Corvette used to hold water in places for DAYS!

Nothing like washing your car, drying it off and thinking you got it all, and then going for a drive only to have water weep from the mirrors and spray all over the nice clean car.

My ladyfriend's 02 Mustang GT is the worst. All those fake scoops do nothing for airflow, but they sure hold water!

Its the worst if you live where the water is hard. Then, when the water seeps from these places, it dries in this white, crusty streak.

But yeah -- I learned that from a friend who used to use his air compressor to get almost all the water off his car... The yard blower is a poor mans way

Originally posted by SilverSport
dang man, that is lazy.
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
ill stick with my chamious. mines about to die, so i need to go get another one pretty soon.
Old 05-08-2003
Master

CivicBR900EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to use chamois, now they have these moisture abosorber, works better.
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

justacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Chamois are a bit of a pain in the **** to take care of. I used one for years , but switched to the absorber, then I discovered WAFFLE WEAVE MICROFIBER! It is truly amazing, it doesn't swirl, is EXTREMELY aborbent, and doesn't have the "drag" of a synthetic. You can purchase high quality microfiber from a number of places , but some of the highest quality per dollar spent I have found came from www.premiumautocare.com.
Old 05-13-2003
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
I throw mine in the washing machine when it gets dirty. thats what it says to do on the back of the contained that you keep it in. Works great, i like it more than the old bath towel i used to use...
Old 05-13-2003
Registered!!

Thats what its called!!! -- the absorber...

Originally posted by MMILX
... synthetic drying cloth...
Old 05-16-2003
Registered!!

pdxbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
I would Highly recommend the absorber over any thing else.