Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Spray paint problem. Hope someone has an answer...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ParXraP is an unknown quantity at this point
Spray paint problem. Hope someone has an answer...

Hi I have a simple question that may look obvious or kinda newbie but I need help with paint sutff. I bought some time ago a Stratos Silver Folia Tec spray paint for interior painting. The results were incredible. Ultra-smooth glossy finish. I bought a second can wich I used on the same kind of part. But now the result is rough and has a completly diffrent look and feel. (A bit like sand paper) Is the can no good or I'm doing something wrong?? The only diffrent thing I made is it's a little colder now than before but still I would apreciate some advice. Thanks for ANY help!

Rick
Old 11-09-2002
Registered!!

JDanMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
did you sand or clean up your interior real well before you did it? it may look rough because you didnt for that part or you sprayed it too closely to the panels or something. it could be dirt....
Old 11-10-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i agree with him ^^ also if its colder you can get a bucket of warm water, put paint can in the water and let it sit in there for a while to warm up the paint, the warmer it is, the easier it will mix together when you shake it.
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

The piece was clean. It wasn't sanded or anything but it was exactly the same thing as the other pieces. And it isn't dirt from the car that's for sure. The texture is exactly like a sand paper and very different from waht the bottle says it has to look like and very different from the other parts. But if colder paint can cause a rougher texture, then this should be the probleme and 'Ill try the hot water thing. If it dosn't work, can it simply be the can wich could be I don't know, past due?! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Thanks guys.
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

FiremanJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
what parts where u painting? Reason i ask is because if it was the plastic on the air vents then they are slightly texured compared to the trim around the head unit. Pretty obvious i know, i just was wondering if it looks good cause i wanted to paint my interior too.
Old 11-11-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: ParXraP
If it dosn't work, can it simply be the can wich could be I don't know, past due?! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Thanks guys.[hr]
yeah, it can be that too, could also just be a bad batch of paint, or paint wasnt stored in a temperate climate.
Old 11-17-2002
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO, temperature may be the main issue... cause if it was cold the paint didn't set properly....cause on a hot day once you spray sumthing the paint will spread, giving a smoother finish.... it's like oil... if it's cold the oil isn't as viscous (if that's how you spell it) its thicker when cold
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: neoretromax
yeah i agree with him ^^ also if its colder you can get a bucket of warm water, put paint can in the water and let it sit in there for a while to warm up the paint, the warmer it is, the easier it will mix together when you shake it.[hr]
Excellent tip. Learned this from painting rc bodies. The paint clumps and sprays unevenly when cold. A warm should give a nice consistent thin spray.
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Hi all,
Ok here's an update.
I did the hot water thing to the can and it did the same thing again and again. A non-glossy, rougher finish than other parts I painted. BUT. The thing is the paint is hot, but the only place I can paint is in the garage wich cold. And I have nowere else to paint. So maybe the problem is that it drys in a cold place wich does these inappropriate results. I don't know what I could do. Maybe paint in the garage and let dry in my room. Or change that damn can but it's backorder every where! But if only watering the can with hot water should have worked, well it didn't!
Damn paint, should have taken about 20min.. Now been a month!!

Rick
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible that you may be wanting to get finished and are applying thick coats instead of very thin ones? Are you letting the very thin coats dry before spraying another?

Oh, the cold wheather may have something to do with it as it affects the paints curing time. You could take a large cardboard box like a tv comes in and use it to paint in side. Cut holes in it for your hands to go through and maybe put a utility light in there along with a hole in the top to see through. This will keep the overspray and fumes from going everywhere. There is a setup like that explained in detail for painting rc bodies but it's been so long....
Old 11-19-2002
Registered!!

Yes I wait about 15-20 minutes between each thin coats I apply. And the box thing isn't a bad idea! And by the way, on one of the piece I painted with this can, I applied a heavy coat and then with some sort of smooth paper I mixed the paint directly on the piece. Ok the look is awful but where I passed with the paper I get the look I wanted. Smooth and glossy. Can't wait to be done with that damn paint thing!! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] I just love this site [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Rick
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
U cannot paint in the cold. It should be at least 15C to paint. I did somr painting today and i did several coats throughout the day and when the sun started diappearing behind the house, it got cooler and the paint started that sandpaper finish. pissed me off.