Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Chipped hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Chipped hood

Well...I have a black civic and i noticed that the front part of the hood has some small white dots that looks like where some paint have been chipped off (probably from rocks on the freeway...). At about a foot away, i can really tell those white dots are there [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]. Is there anyway that I can clear those dots without having to repaint the whole hood?
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you tried touch up paint? I need to touch mine up too

Nick
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
only use touch up paint for the big chips, if you do the whole hood, when it all dries you're gonna be disappointed cause there will be all these small black marks. The only thing to do is get it painted. I have the same prob w/ my black coupe. I only touch up the big chips, this way when you see it far away it looks ok, till you get up close and really look. Just make sure you have fresh coats of wax there otherwise nothing you can do.
Old 05-12-2002
Registered!!

Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the advice everyone, so if i wax it often. Will it put my hood from getting more chips?
Old 05-13-2002
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
your still gonna get chips, (no way around it) but they probably won't be as bad if not waxed.
Old 05-13-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
if you get the hood repainted, you're just gonna end up with the same problem a year down the road...

get some touch up paint on the small chips - it does make it look better but not its best... it also protects the metal from rusting.

wax will put another layer of protection between your car and the elements... it might stop some scratches, but jswhaler is right, scrathes and chips are inevitable, especially on a freeway

I have a deflector on my hood which protects the first few inches of the hood (where most chips happen)... it helps but many people don't like the look of it. you might consider trying something like that... up to you.
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I have a full bra on my car have had it since like August of 01 and I have a few sections that have got water in there and screwed the paint up, so yeah it protects rocks but I will need my hood repainted just like everyone else if I plan on keeping it for a extended time.

Nick
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice

<< Yeah I have a full bra on my car have had it since like August of 01 and I have a few sections that have got water in there and screwed the paint up, so yeah it protects rocks but I will need my hood repainted just like everyone else if I plan on keeping it for a extended time.

Nick
>>

thats what I like about the bug deflector... if water gets underneath, it just dries like the rest of the car... the bug deflector doesnt touch the paint, it has 3 clear rubber bubbly things that are stuck via adhesive to the paint, and those keep it from flipping down onto it... really good system imho.