Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Eating through paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006
The Original F*ckin Angry Armenian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ArtIntown11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Eating through paint

Does anyone know what would eat through automotive paint in a rather short amount of time? I was wondering what would permeate the clear coat and start eating away at the paint in the matter of a few hours. Basically Im wondering is there a such thing as fast acting chemical paint removal?
Old 08-27-2006
The Rice Machine

02civicricer is on a distinguished road
brake fluid
Old 08-27-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
acetone? paint thinner? theres a million things really. are you repainting the car and just need the paint stripped off? but many of these things need to be kept away from plastics.
Old 08-27-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
There are plenty of chemical removal products that you can buy in bulk or in individual spray cans if its for a smaller job. They make things that will take it to the bare metal and ones that will take it down to the primer. Both kinds work very well and very quickly. Any chemical removal aside from dipping it, which is expensive and takes time, will require additional scraping to make the surface perfectly clean. But it can be done. What are your intentions?
Old 08-28-2006
The Original F*ckin Angry Armenian

ArtIntown11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I want to remove the paint down to the bare metal on some body parts for a project car me and my dad are working on. I dont want to dip it because it will be waaaayyy to expensive. I dont mind the additonal scraping really. I want to just get that paint off reprime some quarter panels and paint them to match the rest of the car.
Old 08-28-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
The just go to autozone or somewhere like that and you should be able to be paint stripper in a can. It works really well. You spray it on and the paint starts to bubble up immediately. You let it sit for like 5-10 minutes then scrape off the residue. Works really well.