Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Rust/Chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006
JTF
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JTF is an unknown quantity at this point
Rust/Chip

I purchased a new civic sedan in jan this year and noticed a small chip in the hood that has rust in it. I assume that the warranty doesn't cover this so, is it worth going to the dealership and paying them to repair it or would a rust proofing each year keep it from spreading or getting worse. The chip is smaller than a dime so it isn't too big located just above the top of the hood.

Last edited by JTF; 08-30-2006 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Adeed additional info
Old 08-30-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i would say leave it. the body shop repaired the whole back end of my car and there was a small chip right above the taillight where its completely rusted. they said they will cover it but also means the shop gets the car another 2 weeks and they need to take off everything to repair it and then paint the whole thing again (bumper and deck lid). he said if you leave it nothing will happen since its already open, and its been like that for 6 months in very humid, rainy climate. hasnt gotten any worse.
Old 08-30-2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
The only potential problem with rust is that it spreads underneath the paint. So even if you can't see it, it may still be spreading. It is something I would suggest getting taken care of. The dealer won't do anything and rustproofing won't help now that its already happened. Whenever you see a chip clean it and use some touch up paint before it gets a chance to rust.