Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

wat to use for the engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
wat to use for the engine bay?

ive been wanting to clean my engine bay....not that its dirty or anythin but atleast bring up the shine in it...so i was wondering wat stuff i should i use on the engine bay on like hoses, plastic, and etc. also should i prep work before applying any shining products if there are little dirt here and there? wat would be the proper way to clean up the engine bay without goin serious. guys at my shop power wash the engine bay while the engine is running and said it was safe.....now i heard that it isnt...so im just finding out wat exactly i should go into cleaning the engine before applying shining prodcuts..thx. also if there are links to the prep work plz feel free to post the link. thx
Old 05-17-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
i heard using simple green was good, never used it myself tho because im too lazy
Old 05-17-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Simple green works well, make sure you cover your air filter with a plastic bag if you have a SRI or CAI. I use this stuff and a rag to clean it
http://www.meguiars.com/?detailer-en...Safe-D-Greaser

Then I use Meguiars Hyper Dressing to dress it. You have to buy a gallon, its kinda expensive at 39.99, but it will last you forever. Just put some in a spray bottle and go to town. http://www.meguiars.com/?detailer-dr...Hyper-Dressing

Here are a couple of before and after pics of that method.

Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
damn that looks good...pretty expensive tho..ill have to see where my budget is before jumping on this unless there are less expensive ways to clean it as good as that. do i need to cover any electrical components too and wat should i cover them with?
Old 05-17-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
You may want to cover your alternator when using a degreaser. Just use a plastic bag. Try getting a buddy of yours thats into cars to go in on it with you. That hyper dressing is also great for the wheel wells too. You can go to any auto parts store and pick up a engine detailer, there is one thats a citrus cleaner/detailer in one aerosol can that works ok and sounds like more what your looking for. You can get it at autozone, its in a silver and orange can and costs like 6 bucks. Get that, a small bottle of simple green for stubborn places, some plastic bags, and some terry cloths for cleaning and drying. Engines are REAL bad about water spots. Otherwise something like what i already mentioned is your best bet.
Old 05-17-2006
I can resist everything except temptation.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the rough
I use simple green, diluted down 8:1 then just whatever you want to use to dress it with afterwords. For a get it at you local store solution, do the simple green and grab a can of Armor All foam tire shine in the aresol can and just spray that on the parts you want to dress up. It's cheap, works good, and the foam will keep the dressing in place longer to set withouth dripping as much.
Old 05-17-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i use concentrated orange degreaser. spray a bit on the dirt and try to wipe off. then when everything is clean, i spray on some turtle wax platinum plastic protectant one area at a time. everything by hand.
Old 05-20-2006
Registered!!

i got a black magic tire shine in the aersol...will that be good? ill prob get simple green and use that. also do i need to cover up the area above the spark plugs, the black plastic cover, or am i good? so basically i just need to cover up the alternator and air filter?