Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Ordered PC DA and edited ULTIMATE plan

Old 05-10-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Ordered PC DA and edited ULTIMATE plan

Ordered a PC DA from autogek.net with the combo package for $180 something. It comes with orange, white, and grey pads, etc.
I am also going to order this in the next to days (I edited some things to cut the total cost down some):
MGs Gold class paste wax (was PS21 paste wax)
Wolfgang deep gloss sealant
Wolfgang swirl remover
MGs # 3 pro glaze (was Wolfgang Finishing Glaze)
Mothers reflections advanced top coat
Mothers Clay Kit
MGs NXT cockpit shine
NXT Insane Tire shine
MG deep pile chenille wash mitt
MG car Odor Eliminator
Pinaccle safe scrub bug and tar pad
Cobra microfiber miracle towel six pack
Cobra deluxe microfiber bonnet 2 pack

I edited my ULTIMATE detailing plan:
1. Wash wheels
2. Wash engine bay, not too dirty so I can use normal soap.
3. Wash car using mit and three buckets, two with soap, top and bottom half of car, and one with water, rinsing. Will use MGs gold class shampoo.
4. Spray with detailer while drying car with sqeegee and microfiber towels
5. Clay car with Mothers clay kit and then detail to make sure all is clean, might re wash and dry
6. Tape up plastic and other stuff for protection
7. Wolfgang Swirl Remover using PC DA applied on orange pad
8. Wolfgang swirl remover with white pad
9. MGs # 3 glaze applied using grey finishing pad, take off tape
10. Wolfgang deep gloss sealant on paint and rims, applied on paint with grey pad and buffed off with microfiber bonnet
WAIT TILL NEXT DAY
11.one coat or two coats of MGs gold class paste wax, grey pad, buffed off with bonnet
12. one coat of Mothers reflections top coat, applied with microfiber bonnet, buffed off by hand
13. Final buff with clean microfiber bonnet and application of tire shine and dressing, including engine bay
14. Cleanest ride ever

Last edited by jackburton; 05-13-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2006
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.

blackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant future
Sounds good. But here are a few things I would change. Step 4 - No need to spray detail. Step 5 - Definately wash again after you clay it. And when it comes to the tire shine and engine dressing, you should probably do that after the second wash, before all the waxing and what not, just so you don't get any overspray on your freshly cleaned paint. Be sure to post pics after you are done!
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Yeah I was wondering whether or not to spray detailer because I am going to do so much polishing, but then I thought might as well to get less water spots and make things easier. I am always pretty careful with the dressing, but wasteful. I hold the nozzle real close and use a rag after words to make sure it is even. If you use the nozzle as directed you are going to make a mess every time. I am going to rewash, but it is going to be more of a fast rinse off, with very few suds.
Old 05-11-2006
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.

blackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant future
When you clay the car after the first wash, all the water spots will be gone anyways, pplus you will be washing it again. The second wash doesn't have to be anything huge. Just enough to get extra spray detailer off and any loosened dirt from the clay.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

I meant that I will spray detailer onto the wet car as I dry to reduce water spots, and make it easier. I forget what the trick actually does now.

The actual clay leaves something behind, that is another reason to rewash.

I meant that I will spray detailer onto the wet car as I dry to reduce water spots, and make it easier. I forget what the trick actually does now.

The actual clay leaves something behind, that is another reason to rewash.

Last edited by jackburton; 05-11-2006 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-13-2006
Registered!!

I ordered the stuff. I had to change a few things around to lower the cost. I am kind of disapointed cause i really wanted to try the P21s, but oh well.

Last edited by jackburton; 05-13-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jackburton
I ordered the stuff. I had to change a few things around to lower the cost. I am kind of disapointed cause i really wanted to try the P21s, but oh well.
You could always go to your local Harley Davidson dealer and buy some S100 carnuaba wax for $14.95. It's marketed towards motorcycles, but works just as good on cars. The formula is almost the same as P21S's, but more importantly, the outcome and durability are the same at half the price.
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

I was thinking about that, but I wantd to try the p21s because it says it comes off really easy and beads like crazy. In the end s100 is not the same and gold class is only ten bucks.
Old 05-17-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
I assume the orange pad is a cutting pad and the white is a polishing pad? If so, I would advise against using a cutting pad on a DA, they are typically used with rotary buffers and can cause even more damage. I think that you can skip that step anyway, the polishing pad should be plenty for you with the swirl remover. I also suggest using Meguiars #80 speed glaze, its a great light abrasive to use after a swirl remover, it has a lot of polishing properties to it. Spray detailer won't do much for you when it comes to water spots as you dry. You will reduce water spots by running a gentle stream of water directly across the panel before you dry it, let it run itself off. One thing I don't see up there is a trim detailer, I suggest you get some. I know you are planning on taping it off, but some ALWAYS gets on the trim no matter what you do. I put some trim detailer on before I polish/wax and then do it again after I am done. That way the residue wont stick and you can just wipe it off. I don't personally care for the mothers reflections line of products.Thats all I can think of right now. Otherwise it looks good. If I think of anything i'll post it up.
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

I am not srue where you are getting your info on cutting pads not used with DA, because that is incorrect. In fact getting the DA to take out any "substanial" amount of swirls requires a light cutting pad.

Wolfgangs swirl remover was formulated to be used with different pads, so using it with the white pad will give the paint that extra refinement before glazing with the finishing pad.

I read somewhere that if you spray detailer on the paint as you dry it really helps keep wax on your car, helps to reduce water spots, and helps with drying in general. They called it an old detailing trick or something. I have notdone it yet, and I want to try it to really see if it works.

I just use whatever i use on the interior on the trim.

Have you ever used the top coat?
I have never used the reflections, but I hear really good things about it, at least the wax. I only heard a few comments about the top coat, but many people have had great results with the wax/sealant. I here that it is by far the best over the counter wax available, looks wise anyway.

Last edited by jackburton; 05-17-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
I understand that you have to use a pad with some "bite" to it in order to remove swirls, thats common sense, but most polishing pads have more than enough to do the job. Most cutting pads are too harsh for a DA.

I tried the wax and polish on my dads truck, i have to admit that I like the results of NXT better. Never tried the top coat.

To each his own.
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

I have been over on the detailing forums and they recomend a light cutting pad and even putting a couple of pounds of pressure on the PC DA. Even then some of them stil say a DA will not remove all of the swirls in dark paint. My paint is not that bad, but it definely has noticable swirls in the sun.

What color was teh truck?
The NXT is great on dark metalic paints.

Oh yeah I checked out your car in your pics, paint looks great.

Last edited by jackburton; 05-17-2006 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-17-2006

Yes you need to put about 3-5lbs of pressure directly on the PC, but an actual cutting pad will still be too harsh. Most companies cutting pads are made to work with rotary buffers specifically. Being that the DA is dual action, it spins and oscilates similar to your hand when you wax, a rotary just spins in a circle at very high RPM's. The suggest a light cutting pad, which is correct, but a polishing pad has light cutting properties to it, thats why you dont use it for waxing. I still say that a real cutting pad will be too harsh, but thats your decision. Let me show you what a polishing pad along with Meguiars #83 followed by #80 will do.

Before (obviously)

After

My dads truck is two tone light blue/grayish white.

Thanks for the compliment, im sure yours will come out fine too.
Old 05-18-2006
Registered!!

The orange pad is a light cutting pad, I think they are orange county. I am getting them in a package made for the PC DA.