buffer/polisher help - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2005   #1
Registered!!

civicnc is an unknown quantity at this point
buffer/polisher help

I have looked on a number of websites and most recommend a porter cable 7424 polisher. I have a craftsman random orbit 7 in. buffer/polisher. I have some scratches in the finish from the previous owner trying to get rid of a scratch down the entire length of the passenger side. I can't seem to get rid of them by hand. Will what I have work or do I need to invest in something better- like the porter cable? Thanks for your help.
civicnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #2

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Well with a random orbit buffer you are very very limited in the abrasives you can use. The reason being, with a high abrasive it will cause more damage than it will fix. I personally use the Porter Cable 7336SP, it comes with a smaller counterweight but there isnt enough difference to matter, and its cheaper. The larger counterweight will reduce vibrations, but i cant tell a difference between the two. If you are looking to remove defects with a machine, then a DA is definatly the way to go. Its safe and easy to use, it simulates the same motion you use by hand, and instead of the "random" orbit of the other a DA is consistant, because you dont want to rub an abrasive around "randomly". If this is your plan it wont be cheap, the 7336 is about $100 at lowes and you will need to get a backing plate and some quality pads and products.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #3
Registered!!

dacali is an unknown quantity at this point
The Porter Cable 7336SP is definately a good polisher. Expect to spend around $150 or more for everything you need unless you find good deals: polisher, good pad set, good polishes that work well with the PC. I read Lowes might have the polisher on sale for $70 ($100-$110 normally). A 4" Prople pad set will probably cost around $30 + shipping. Polishes tend to range from $10-40 each. I haven't looked at the new polishes that are currently out so I can't recommend anything for a polish yet.

Note: If your fingernail can get caught in the scratch, then it's too deep to be removed by hand or machine.

-Dacali
dacali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #4

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Check out Meguiars website. They have a pad and backing plate set for about 30 bucks and also some great polishes. Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze is an amazing product, its my go-to product when it comes to detailing, not too abrasive but a lot of polishing properties. If done right it does an amazing job.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote