Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Longest lasting/durable wax for the winter??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k-man is an unknown quantity at this point
Longest lasting/durable wax for the winter??

I am planning on waxing my car one last time before the winter hits, now the wax needs to last for a good 6 months so im thinking it has to be a polymer based wax, I was thinking of using NXT.....good choice?

I could care less about how the wax looks im looking for long term durability here.
Old 11-04-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
NXT is a good choice, and in fact what i use on my car, but only during the summer. During winter months its much harder to keep the finish as clean as you like. So in the winter I use a Carnuba wax, i like using Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax personally. The reason i say use the carnuba, is that it leaves a thicker coat behind compared to the NXT which is synthetic. Two thin coats are always better than one thick coat no matter what you use.
Old 11-05-2005
Registered!!

i always thought carnuba wax didnt last as long and the synthetic polymer stuff?? thats why i was told to use the carnuba in the summer and synthetic (ie. NXT) in the winter?????????
Old 11-05-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
NXT is the best protectant wax that meguiars makes. But "durability" also depends greatly on upkeep. A synthetic wax, being as thin as its applied, needs to be regularly washed and you need a quick detailer to maintain proper protection. With a carnuba wax, which applies thicker, you have a thicker level of protection from things like salt on the road, bird crap, and so on, plus it doesnt require the same amount of maintenance. If you just have something sitting on the finish, a synthetic will probably do much better, but for winter driving when the car is constantly blasted with abrasive materials you will need something thats a little thicker.
Old 11-09-2005
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
no wax will last very long honestly. you need a polymer sealant like liquid glass, meguiars #20, zaino, or rejex
Old 11-09-2005

southpasdena is an unknown quantity at this point
A polymer sealend that is applied with 2 or 3 coats should last you around 3 months. Just put carnuba wax first, followed by a polymer sealer or synthetic, because those wont give your paint depth like a good carnuba would, and the carnuba wouldnt give the shine the synthetics do.
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
i have yet to try it, but have read many great reviews on the new mother's reflections car wax & topcoat, and fx synwax.
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

dacali is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard Collinite #845 Insulator Wax has very nice durability. I've heard reports of it lasting at least 3-5 months from just one coat. I should be getting in my bottle of it in the next week or so. (Ordered from Advance Auto Parts Online)

Previously, I've used Klasse All-In-One followed by 3-5 layers of Klasse Sealant Glaze topped with S100 (also known as P21S). Although, I have to admit Klasse Sealant Glaze is a pain to buff off if you don't use it correctly. It has worked well for my in the past though.

Generally, sealants should be placed under carnauba waxes. Sealants usually require a clean surface to bond correctly. (For instance, Klasse Sealant Glaze requires Klasse All-In-One to be applied for it to bond correctly.) If you put the carnauba on first, the oils will affect the durability of the sealant. This applies only if the sealant and carnauba waxes have no cleaners. Otherwise, attempting to layer sealants and waxes is pointless. Most over-the-counter waxes and sealants will have cleaners that will remove what was on the paint below it.

Waxes and sealants are very very thin layers, and sealants are usually thinner. It will take multiple layers (10+, 20+, 100+, who knows) to protect your paint from flying salt and rocks. I don't believe any of the carnauba waxes can actually layer either. Going either way should be fine. FYI, sealants also protect just fine without a quick detailing spary. It may take more initial work to layer it, but it can last longer than most carnauba waxes.

My recommendation: Collinite #845 Insulator Wax. Applying Tip: Thin is in!

Edit: Forgot to mention that most of these products can only be bought online, and they are not exactly cheap. ($15-20/each).

Another Edit: Added general notes about sealants and waxes and layer thickness.

-Dacali

Last edited by Dacali; 11-12-2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2005
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
^^^I've read on Autopia that Collinite is really good in terms of durability. I have yet to try it though.

I've had great durability results with Poorboy's EX-P. I usually top it off with S100 or Natty's Blue.
Old 11-12-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mogwai
^^^I've read on Autopia that Collinite is really good in terms of durability. I have yet to try it though.

I've had great durability results with Poorboy's EX-P. I usually top it off with S100 or Natty's Blue.
That's where I get all my information! I've been wanting to try Poorboy's line of products, but I've just spend too much on my detailing budget. There's just so many options out there!

I'm waiting patiently for my my Collinite IW845, Optimum Spray Wax, and Aquapel to arrive...

-Dacali
Old 11-12-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
nxt only lasts a month or two maybe. KIT wax is what I use now and it lasts upto a year. usually I don't have to wax for 5-6 months.
Old 11-12-2005
Registered!!

well upon advice from autopia and detail city, i decided to go with 4* UPP........i decided against klasse just beucase i heard so much negative about SG.......maybe when i get better at this detailing stuff i'll give it a try......
Old 11-13-2005
Registered!!

I've been wanting to try Four Star UPP. The only Four Star product I've tried is the Ultimate Gloss Enhancer... Good stuff. In any case, UPP looks like a good choice.

Dacali, I know what you mean about spending too much on detailing stuff. For me, it's an addiction. LOL Right now my car is dirty, but here's it is in all its glory... http://www.danase.com/re20ciex.html

You can click on the picture to make it bigger.
Old 11-13-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
omg thats a shiny civic and clean too.
Old 11-13-2005
Registered!!

^^^Thanks man.
Old 11-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mogwai
For me, it's an addiction.
Yup. It's an addiction alright! By the way, 4* is coming out with a spray version of UPP in the next month or so.

I've heard mixed reviews about UPP's durability. I'm interested in finding out how well it holds up.

Hopefully Collinite #845 will be the answer to my durability problems. The Optimum Spary Wax should be nice too since it is supposedly very easy to apply.

For those of you haven't tried Protect-All's Quick and Easy wash, I highly recommend it. Makes washing you car much less of a pain (quicker, less water used, does NOT need a hose) once you get used to it! Optiumum is coming out with their own QEW too.

Edit: You don't have to buy both of the Klasse twins! Klasse AIO should make a good base for UPP. Here's a picture of my Civic with just Klasse AIO.

-Dacali

Last edited by Dacali; 11-13-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2005

I know what you guys mean. I hate winter, it gets too cold to wash it everyday.
Old 11-14-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
i've used AIO, and EX-P.

EX-P lasts a long time (around 4 months for me) but you'll have to upkeep it (weekly washes in the winter is a must)
Old 11-15-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
The high tech yellow wax has carnuba wax mixed with synthetic sealants. I used a thick coat of gold class, not too thick, with a coat of nxt over it. It has lasted for a couple months now, so I do not think sealants over carnuba would have any negative effects.

Where did you read that?

I am curious to how the yellow wax with two coats of nxt over it would do, I think it would last a really long time. I would try that for winter, just wait a day between coats of nxt.
Old 11-16-2005
Registered!!

jonw440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Collinite 845 Insulator wax is very durable. Just remember to apply it very thin. In fact I apply it in two thin applications. You don't need to slop it on thick.
If you get any streaks just use a damp towel and then wipe it with a dry one.
http://www.decocarcare.com/845isw.html
Old 11-16-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jackburton
The high tech yellow wax has carnuba wax mixed with synthetic sealants. I used a thick coat of gold class, not too thick, with a coat of nxt over it. It has lasted for a couple months now, so I do not think sealants over carnuba would have any negative effects.

Where did you read that?
I get most of my information from Autopia. The thicker you apply a wax or sealant, the more use generally waste. Applying a thick layer of Gold Class and buffing it off is the same as a thin layer and buffing (as long as you get an even coat).

I believe the Meguiar's NXT wax has cleaning abilities in it since it's advertised to remove swirls and light scratched. My guess (just a guess) is that you cleaned off the Gold Class when you applied the NXT.

Edit: Quick Google found this:
"NXT does contain a specialized cleaner"

Just my guess though. You may try to do a 50/50 on your trunk or hood with Gold Class topped with NXT and the other half only NXT.

How long was your Gold Class/NXT on your car? Many waxes will last as least 2-3 months if washed with a mild soap. Gold Class never really lasted for me that long and had a tendency of not wanting to come off and streaking when I used it because I was always in the sun. Not the wax for me since I don't have a garage usually.

Examples:

I know several of the more popular sealants have a cleaner that goes with it. It just helps to bond to the paint better.

Klasse: Cleaner - All-In-One, Sealant - Sealant Glaze
4* UPP: Cleaner - Ultimate Paint Cleaner, Sealant - UPP
Zaino: Cleaner - Z1, Sealant - Z2Pro, Z3, Z5 (I'm not sure how ZFX falls into that, but it supposedly aids in "crosslinking" to help it bond better).

It just makes sense to me though. I wouldn't paint something that had fingerprints and oils all over it. I prefer to work with a clean surface.

Edit: Added some examples

-Dacali

Last edited by Dacali; 11-16-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I meant a layer that would definitely cover the entire car, and it might waste a little but not too much. Sometimes even if you think you put an even coat on it is not so, I dunno maybe thick was the wrong word. I meant healthy. I do not know for sure if the nxt took the gold class off, but I do not think so. I showed it to my buddy, and we both thought it looked different than one coat of nxt. Gold class makes the paint look really thick, where as nxt doe not do this as much. Also, he agreed that it was much smoother to the touch. It was rediculous, it is defintely the smoothest i have ever felt. He uses nxt everytime he waxes his car, which is like every two weeks, and we both have the same year honda.

I might have to test it next time I wax my car. I have not even washed it in a month, between the weather and school it might take a while.

Last edited by jackburton; 11-16-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2005
Registered!!

I meant a layer that would definitely cover the entire car, and it might waste a little but not too much. Sometimes even if you think you put an even coat on it is not so, I dunno maybe thick was the wrong word. I meant healthy. I do not know for sure if the nxt took the gold class off, but I do not think so. I showed it to my buddy, and we both thought it looked different than one coat of nxt. Gold class makes the paint look really thick, where as nxt doe not do this as much. Also, he agreed that it was much smoother to the touch. It was rediculous, it is defintely the smoothest i have ever felt. He uses nxt everytime he waxes his car, which is like every two weeks, and we both have the same year honda.

I might have to test it next time I wax my car. I have not even washed it in a month, between the weather and school it might take a while.
I do think that Gold Class definately looks deep and wet. Most sealants tend to be more reflective than have depth, but they usually also tend to last longer.

Here's an experiment you can try. 50/50 Split. One with 2 x NXT followed by Gold Class. The other Gold Class followed by 2 x NXT. I'm interested in how it would work out. Of course, you wouldn't be able to wax/seal your car again until the end of the experiment. Durability test tends to depend on too many variables though. It just gets too tempting to wax/seal it again sometimes too!

Smoothness is just how well you prepped your surface. After going over a surface with a clay bar, it'll definately be smooth (if the paint is in half decent shape at least)!

Your top coat of wax or sealant gives your paint more slickness though. This tends to fade within weeks of waxing (depending on the wax), but it can be rejuvenated with a quality quick detailing spray or (of course) another waxing. Unfortunately, slickness is a poor way of testing for durability. Many waxes/sealants will continue to bead water even after the slickness has faded. Personally, I depend on how well the water beads to see if a wax is holding up. The smaller the better!

I'd like to give NXT a try sometime though, but I already have way too many waxes and sealants! I've really generalized all the information I've posted it though. Not all of it applies to everything, but it's just the trends I've seen in products. And finally... If what you're currently putting on your car is holding up until the next time you wax, that's all that matters (at least from a durability standpoint)!

-Dacali
Old 11-16-2005

NXT does not remove old wax. Its as simple as that. The "cleaning" properties that it has are designed to mask swirls and scratches not to remove them. I suggest using Meguiars NXT topped by Meguiars Hi Tech Yellow Wax. Great results.
Old 11-16-2005
Registered!!

^^I just meant that the nxt over gold was slicker than just the nxt, so i did not think that the gold class was scrubbed off.

^How come not the other way around?
I would think that the sealant would seal the carnuba wax some what. Also, with the carnuba directly on the paint you get a deep look with that shiny/reflective coat of nxt on top.
The only thing that worried me when I put the gold class under the sealant was that it would break down, kinda like building a fortress on a foundation made of styrofoam.

I dunno either way you get one hell of a nice looking car, props on your ride BTW.

Last edited by jackburton; 11-16-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by soonercivic
NXT does not remove old wax. Its as simple as that.
Good to know. Thanks! Does NXT layer like other sealants too?

^^I just meant that the nxt over gold was slicker than just the nxt, so i did not think that the gold class was scrubbed off.
Just wondering. How's slick is the Gold Class by itself compared to the NXT topped Gold Class?

The only thing that worried me when I put the gold class under the sealant was that it would break down, kinda like building a fortress on a foundation made of styrofoam.
I personally always start with the most durable and work my way down. My personal favorite combo (in order) was 1 x Klasse AIO, 3 x Klasse SG, 1 x S100.

-Dacali
Old 11-16-2005
Registered!!

Two coats of gold class is pretty slick, but I think the nxt on top of gold is a little slicker. I did not even clay before putting it on, but my car has had wax on it since the last time, so it was pretty clean paint. Maybe it is Also I remember my paint beading like crazy, but that is mostly due to nxt. I just remembered that cause my buddy pointed it out when I went to visit him in PA and this was after more than a month of it being on, with only one wash in between. I hate the school year, It never seems like I have time to wash my car. Also the damn cold weather sucks! I also love the challenge of washing a car in the summer. I absolutely love when it is like a 95 out with direct sunlight, gotta keep that paint wet!!!
Old 11-16-2005
Registered!!

I also love the challenge of washing a car in the summer. I absolutely love when it is like a 95 out with direct sunlight, gotta keep that paint wet!!!
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one! I've been converted to using Protect-All Quick and Easy Wash (QEW) for all my washing. Four gallons of water, a wash mit, an old terry cloth, two buckets, two ounces of QEW, and lots of microfiber towels is all I need. I was able to wash, dry, and wax a '00 Honda Accord coupe in about 40 minutes.

Of course, I was using Optimum Spary Wax. From what I've read about it, it should lasts about 2-3 months. It's suppose to last up to five, but that sounds extreme. I'll be testing that out over the winter (Texas winter). It definately smells nice (pina coladas) and goes on very easy.

-Dacali
Old 11-16-2005

Yes NXT does layer, and layering it doesnt remove any previous work or waxes. If you top a carnuba wax with NXT and just use NXT speed detailer after washing, NXT will last a long time. As with any wax, for proper long lasting protection, it requires maintenance.
Old 11-16-2005
Registered!!

I don't agree with the all waxes require maintenance for proper long term protection. Many waxes will last for at least a couple of months without the need for a detailing spray. Although it may not have the "just waxed" look, the protection is still there.

But... a good detailing spray is an excellent way of getting back to that "just waxed" look!

I've heard mixed comments about NXT's cleaning abilities. I'll have to try it out for myself one of these days.

-Dacali

Quick Reply: Longest lasting/durable wax for the winter??