Nu-Finish Scratch Remover - Page 2 - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2005   #31  
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
yes, meaning testing #80 FIRST, then if that doesn't work... then #83. i wouldn't use #83 to test a spot first, if i used #80 first and that could do the job...

Last edited by rckdrmr; 07-26-2005 at 01:31 PM.
rckdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #32  

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
no, never. I think were on the same page here actually. Always use the least abrasive product to get the job done. Start low and work high and see what works on a test spot, then expand your best method to the whole vehicle.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #33  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercivic
Always use the least abrasive product to get the job done. Start low and work high and see what works on a test spot, then expand your best method to the whole vehicle.
that's what i've been saying all along....
Old 07-26-2005   #34  

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
I know this. But when i said you wouldnt use 80 before 83 i was referring to the whole vehicle because when you posted that method, you didnt mention anything about that being on a test spot. Like i said, were both saying the same thing here.
Old 07-26-2005   #35  
Registered!!

Quote:
You would not do an entire car with #80 first and then #83.
if #80 works in removing the defects. you can skip #83, and move to lsp.
Old 07-26-2005   #36  

i understand that, i said you wouldnt do an ENTIRE car with #80 first. If #80 is good enough, then #83 is pointless. i know what you are saying and we are both correct. Thats why you do the test spot not the whole vehicle, like you and i both said. I was just clarifying after your original post about a method and products to use, because in that post you never mentioned a test spot so i assumed that you meant that was for the whole vehicle.
Old 07-26-2005   #37  
Registered!!

Quote:
You should use #83 before #80
re-read this post. even if you do a test spot first, #80 would be the first step to try. that's not what you're saying here...
Old 07-26-2005   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckdrmr
here's what you do... go to lowes and buy the porter cable 7336 for around $100, and use/fill this this coupon for an additional 10% off! then... go buy/order a backing plate and some buffing pads (get at least three) and you'll be good to go! here's one good combo i would suggest...

wash
clay
#80 meguiars speed glaze
#83 meguiars dual action cleaner/polish *only if #80 doesn't get rid of the swirls/defects*
meguiars nxt tech wax

:
in this post you never mention the fact that you would use #80 first ONLY on a test spot. From the way this is written it appears that you should use #80 on the entire vehicle and follow that up with #83. Therefore i posted a reply to that affect. This is what i am trying to clarify. I know that you should always use the least abrasive product to get the job done, thus trying #80 out on a test spot. If you had said "try this on a test spot, if it isnt good enough try #83" then i wouldnt have said a thing other than "great method" or "good choice" but you didnt.
Old 07-26-2005   #39  
jmk
Registered!!

jmk is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha.

I want a PC!
jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #40  
Registered!!

Quote:
This is what i am trying to clarify
nope, you weren't implying/clarifying clearly enough. anyways.... if anyone has any ?'s about a process of using megs products, call 1-800-347-5700 and they will guide you the correct way.

Last edited by rckdrmr; 07-26-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2005   #41  
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
you guys are arguing over detailing processes

test with least abrasive, if that doesn't work, go more abrasive, and so on. after you find a working one, step down the abrasiveness until you go to a non-abrasive step.
ojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #42  
jmk
Registered!!

Hey guys,

I just tried using ScratchX on my hood and wasn't pleased with my results.

First, I rinsed my car down thoroughly. Then I used Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner and then rinsed it down again. Completely dried it. Now I used Meguiars Foam Pads to apply ScratchX on my hood, working in small sections, working it in for about a minute in each small area. Then I let it dry and used a MF towel to wipe off the excess. Not only did it NOT get rid of my scratches, it left little white 'bubbles' in my clear coat. I don't really know how to describe it but I'll try to take pictures of it tomorrow in the sun. I was very mad because now I still have my scratch AND little white bubbly things.

Can someone please tell me what they are? And possibly a method to get rid of them? My scratch isnt very noticable so I'm just going to leave it there. I don't want to cause further damage to my paint job. I'll just stick to washing it once a week and waxing it once a month.

Sigh, all that work for nothing. My arm is so sore and all I have to show for it is white bubbly things.

I'll post pictures of it as soon as I can.
Old 07-27-2005   #43  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk
Hey guys,

I just tried using ScratchX on my hood and wasn't pleased with my results.

First, I rinsed my car down thoroughly. Then I used Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner and then rinsed it down again. Completely dried it. Now I used Meguiars Foam Pads to apply ScratchX on my hood, working in small sections, working it in for about a minute in each small area. Then I let it dry and used a MF towel to wipe off the excess. Not only did it NOT get rid of my scratches, it left little white 'bubbles' in my clear coat. I don't really know how to describe it but I'll try to take pictures of it tomorrow in the sun. I was very mad because now I still have my scratch AND little white bubbly things.

Can someone please tell me what they are? And possibly a method to get rid of them? My scratch isnt very noticable so I'm just going to leave it there. I don't want to cause further damage to my paint job. I'll just stick to washing it once a week and waxing it once a month.

Sigh, all that work for nothing. My arm is so sore and all I have to show for it is white bubbly things.

I'll post pictures of it as soon as I can.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=1516
Old 07-28-2005   #44  
jmk
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckdrmr
I read that. I was afraid to reapply it after I saw the white things. I emailed Meguiar. Hopefully, they have an answer to my problem.

Anyone else ever seen these on their car?
Old 07-28-2005   #45  
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk
I read that. I was afraid to reapply it after I saw the white things. I emailed Meguiar. Hopefully, they have an answer to my problem.

Anyone else ever seen these on their car?
you can also call 1-800-347-5700
Old 07-28-2005   #46  
jmk
Registered!!

Just cleaned all my MF towels, terry clothes and applicator pads.

Preparing for another day of ScratchX this weekend. Sent Meguiars an email so hopefully they can tell me how to fix it or what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks everyone for the help. Please bear with me!
Old 07-29-2005   #47  
jmk
Registered!!

I emailed Meguiars last night about my problem. This morning, I received a call around noon. It was Tim from Meguiars calling in regards to my email.

He was very polite and was very patient, explaining to me what could be possible reasons for the white defects. I redid a bit of my hood with ScratchX today. Seems like the white defects have gone away but the scratchs are still there. I must have reapplied it 6+ times but no luck.

I guess I will keep trying. Seems to have gotten less noticable though.

I'm sure you guys are all bored of this thread already. Thanks again for everyone's help.