Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

kinda new... =[

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steven10 is an unknown quantity at this point
kinda new... =[

sorry to ask this but like i need help! haha what can i do to make my car shiny?... it has lots of swirl marks in it... its very shiny but it has too many swirl marks... ive heard of a quick detailing thing called clay griots garage or something but im pretty new at this.. HELP PLEASE
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
well to make anything shiny, you polish it. to get rid of swirls you polish it with heat and with as least amount of abrasiveness as possible.
Old 06-24-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ojay
well to make anything shiny, you polish it. to get rid of swirls you polish it with heat and with as least amount of abrasiveness as possible.
That it true, but there are other ways to get rid of swirls. Im guessing since your new at this you dont have any machine polishers. You best bet to remove and swirls is to use Meguiars ScratchX. It will take some elbow grease and will take some time to do the whole car, but will be worth it. Heres some sample results
Before

after

Then you can polish and wax. I use Meguiars #7 polish, but you will probably like the Deep Crystal system for ease of use. Just get Deep Crystal System Step 2 and some Meguiars NXT Wax and you will be good to go.
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
im sorry but some of you guys talk out of your *** a lot. That scratch x **** is junk. What you need is a Swirl Remover. For example. Meguiars #9. look it up. Or auto Magic's XP swirl remover. there are many more. And a safe way to do it is with an orbital/Dual action polisher. I know many people have used a pc before (porter cable). that works well to get rid of holograms, ^ like what is on the green mercedes. If you have (spider webs) swirly marks there is different skills to doing it. Remember the only way to truely remove swirl marks is with a machine.

And that meguiars #7 can kiss my ***.
Old 06-24-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by civicrice
im sorry but some of you guys talk out of your *** a lot. That scratch x **** is junk. What you need is a Swirl Remover. For example. Meguiars #9. look it up. Or auto Magic's XP swirl remover. there are many more. And a safe way to do it is with an orbital/Dual action polisher. I know many people have used a pc before (porter cable). that works well to get rid of holograms, ^ like what is on the green mercedes. If you have (spider webs) swirly marks there is different skills to doing it. Remember the only way to truely remove swirl marks is with a machine.

And that meguiars #7 can kiss my ***.
^speaking of talking out your ***.....

ScratchX works great, but it is limited in what it can do because it is only applied by hand therefore sometimes taking 5 or more applications working a 2x2 area for about 2-3 minutes. It only works as well as the effort you put out. Yes a swirl remover, like #9, would work. The only problem is #9 is intended to be used to a DA or a rotary polshier. Without the DA you wont create enough heat with your hand to properly remove the swirls. Like he said, he is new to this, which means he probably doesnt have a polisher. Now you mention an orbital/dual action polisher, they are totally different machines. The orbital will remove swirls but with leave holograms. The DA will remove both because its the closest machine movement to what you do by hand. Also, the orbital limits the amount of abrasive products you can use. The green Mercedes did have holograms, but it also had cobwebs that were removed by using only ScratchX. You also said the ONLY way to remove swirl marks is with a machine, i must correct you, the BEST way is with a machine but it can be done by hand. I dont know what your problem with #7 is, but its a great polish. If your polishing by hand though, #81 is for user friendly and easy to remove. Im tired of people talking out their *** too, so would you please stop? thanks
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

messiah is an unknown quantity at this point
i totall agree with soonercivic!
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
Originally Posted by soonercivic
^speaking of talking out your ***.....

ScratchX works great, but it is limited in what it can do because it is only applied by hand therefore sometimes taking 5 or more applications working a 2x2 area for about 2-3 minutes. It only works as well as the effort you put out. Yes a swirl remover, like #9, would work. The only problem is #9 is intended to be used to a DA or a rotary polshier. Without the DA you wont create enough heat with your hand to properly remove the swirls. Like he said, he is new to this, which means he probably doesnt have a polisher. Now you mention an orbital/dual action polisher, they are totally different machines. The orbital will remove swirls but with leave holograms. The DA will remove both because its the closest machine movement to what you do by hand. Also, the orbital limits the amount of abrasive products you can use. The green Mercedes did have holograms, but it also had cobwebs that were removed by using only ScratchX. You also said the ONLY way to remove swirl marks is with a machine, i must correct you, the BEST way is with a machine but it can be done by hand. I dont know what your problem with #7 is, but its a great polish. If your polishing by hand though, #81 is for user friendly and easy to remove. Im tired of people talking out their *** too, so would you please stop? thanks
lol, i give up. you can have this "detail section" haha
Old 06-24-2005

Originally Posted by civicrice
lol, i give up. you can have this "detail section" haha
Hey, im happy to listen to what you have to say. I will just offer my opinion as well. Different people like different products, but some information is just kinda general. Hope its not the last we hear from you.

Last edited by soonercivic; 06-24-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2005
Registered!!

danase is an unknown quantity at this point
I've gotten PLENTY of swirls out by hand. So you don't need a machine to do it. Poorboy's Super Swirl Removers are an AWESOME line that is very friendly to use for the people applying by hand.
Old 07-01-2005
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
^^true, any swirls I've had, i've been able to take them out by hand. someone told me there is no need for a buffer on a new car....just elbow grease.
Old 07-01-2005

That also depends on the severity of any defects.