Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

REQUEST: DIY on wetsanding

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005
I love to suck t3h c0ck & am supr ghey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nice
REQUEST: DIY on wetsanding

how bout it? i've got tons of scratches cause condsiderate people like to scratch my car in the student parking lot...they have POS cars and i have my new 04 civic... i'd like to wetsand so i can get rid of the scratches and get rid of the orange peel honda paintjob...

i've already done a search on this forum and on google but havent found a very detailed DIY.
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
first off, if you wet sand you need a high speed buffer. Do you have one?
Old 01-18-2005

i8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nicei8dabomb is just really nice
no i dont have a high speed buffer, nor do i have the cash to buy one. i'm looking for a sand it by hand method...
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

savedadogs is an unknown quantity at this point
How about using a clay bar? I had a black paint drop (about 1 inch long and 0.25 inch wide) on my 04 civic (magnesium). I got a clay bar and slowly rubbed it out...it was pretty amazing...at first I thought nothing was happening but after a few more minutes, I could see the paint drop slowly disappearing.
Old 01-18-2005
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
People at your school are scratching your car? Do you mean they are "keying" your car? if thats the case I doubt you're going to be able to get the scratches out without a repaint.
Old 01-18-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a few key marks out of my car with GS-27 Scratch remover. It is more of a coverup, but takes away that nasty key mark. I have to look really hard to find the scratches I removed. No repaint needed. I would say try a claybar, and if you still dont like the shine, cleanliness of it, try wetsanding, but have money for a new paintjob incase you F it up
Old 01-18-2005

no they're not keying... but they're not being careful. GRRR JUST CAUSE THEY HAVE A POS THEY DONT HAVE TO NOT BE CAREFUL AROUND MY RIDE!

i dont want to cover up, i want to remove...and i wanna get rid of the orange peel paint too
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

mr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the rough
step one: fill bucket with water and a bit of car wash soap, stir till not too sudsy

step two: get 2000 grit or more sand paper(the real fine sand paper) and dip sandpaper into bucket and soak throughly.

step three: take wet sandpaper and start sanding the spot you want GENTLY or not too hard, till you dont see the scratch.

*note do not sand too much or else you have sanded through the clear coat into the paint, so if scratch is still there, then you may have a deeper scratch.

step four: after done sanding, get some leveling compund, rub some on the spot of sanding.

step five: get buffer and buff the spot where the leveling compund is and then wax if you want to(i find that the leveling compund is enough but do wax the spot every now and then whenever i do this)

does this help? if you want pics i can try and get some for you, but i have already wet sanded my car of scratches(cept for my back bumper when i took off the emblems awhile back, so might have some pics for you on that)
Old 01-18-2005

THANK YOU! what's a good brand of leveling compound? and the pics will definitely be helpful, if the weather gets to be at least 40 degrees fahrenheit instead of 1...
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

mr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the rough
well the weather has been VERY GOOD over here, so ill prolly post up pics for you this weekend, when i do my rear bumper aight?
Old 01-18-2005

k thanks
Old 01-18-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
if you need a diy......i suggest taking it to a pro.
Old 01-18-2005

Originally Posted by civic01vtec
if you need a diy......i suggest taking it to a pro.
i'm looking for a cheap way to remove scratches... sorry i dont have skills at learning something i've never done before...
Old 01-18-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by i8dabomb
i'm looking for a cheap way to remove scratches... sorry i dont have skills at learning something i've never done before...

the reason i say this is not to flame you but to help you. It takes skill and practice.........i don't recommend practicing for the first time on your brand new car. I suggest taking it to you local bodyman and have him buff it
Old 01-19-2005

ok good thanks...since i came to the forum you seemed cool and to have you "flame" me wasnt... well yea i'm just desperate to get rid of the scratches...
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
yea, i wouldn't recommand you doing it yourself for the first time on a new car either. if you mess it up, u basically get more scratches on your clear coat and may even dull your paint.
but i guess let us you know how it turns out after you do it since you seem persistent.
Old 01-19-2005
I can resist everything except temptation.

ffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the rough
With wetsanding you do it right or don't do it at all. Don't try it on your car first is all I've really got to say. Get some old panel from a junkyard. You need to get a buffer or at least borrow one. For the price you would pay for equipment, product, and pads...I say take it to someone who knows how to do it and already has the tools. If you were local to me I'd do it but....you know how that goes..

Not to flame, just my humble opinion. I keep a bed cover off of a 03 ranger in my garage for pratice (donated by a friend who got a new one). Any new product or procedure gets tested and praticed on that before it were to ever touch my car or more importantly a customers car.
Old 01-19-2005

getting an old panel to practice is sounding good... too bad it's SO DAMN cold...