Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Engine Cleaners/Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mowrey1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Cleaners/Detailing

Just had a question about engine cleaning, I wash the motor on my honda about once a month with castrol engine cleaner and it looks brand new except The valve covers and aluminum parts have a chalky white dust or residue which always is on the aluminum parts, I have noticed it with my toyota also especially the valve covers, It can be removed by rubbing with aluminum polish but it is time consuming, does any one have something they put on there motor that doesnt collect dust and doesnt seem to creat this residue,I am sure if I replaced the cheap factory valve covers it would solve part of the problem but I do notice the residue on other aluminum parts and seems to be just the aluminum corroding, In cars I have seen on the car lots as they get older the engine compartments look terrible when you dont clean the aluminum parts and they get all pitted from corrosion.Just wanting to get some ideas on keeping my aluminum parts on my motor looking new without having to spend hours polishing , thanks,
Old 07-25-2004
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
simple green seems to work for me
Old 07-26-2004
Registered!!

Crystal_Lai is an unknown quantity at this point
When I had a sixth gen, I had gotten it from my parents. They NEVER washed it. So, when I went to clean the engine, I used simple green... everything SPARKLED after that (even the aluminun parts!) Works great!
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

jonw440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dragoon
simple green seems to work for me
Be careful using simple green on aluminum.
I copied this off Simple Green's web site.
Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protect-ant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
For cleaning aluminum I like to use 303 Industrial cleaner. It's safe on aluminum. Then you can always polish aluminum with a metal polish.
You can get 303 ind. cleaner here.Buy 303 Here