Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Plexi Glass Scratches?

Old 06-29-2004
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Plexi Glass Scratches?

Hey everyone, in my custom trunk setup that I did in my trunk, I have my sub amplifier integrated into the trunk floor and a piece of lexan plexi glass covering it ontop. Over the months, the lexan has gotten scrathed up and I was wondering if there is anything to take the scratches out or reduce their appearance? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2004
Extreme Member

ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone?
Old 07-18-2004

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
i would also like to know, except this would be for my headlights, but the solution would most likely be the same, buffing it out? what kind of buffer tho?
Old 07-21-2004
President

dret is an unknown quantity at this point
for headlights.. buff it out..
i just recently buffed mine and they are like brand new..

BUT BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!.. we experimented on a old set of 96 civic headlights.. (laying around the shop).. and we buffed it too long and the heat from the buffer melted part of the plastic!
Old 07-22-2004

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
what kind of buffer do i use?
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

jonw440 is an unknown quantity at this point
For Plexiglas you need plastic polish. You can try a "MILD" car polish". It can be done by hand, though a Porter cable 7424 buffer would make the work alot easier, and better results.
For plastic polish I recommend.Meguiars Plastic polish or Plexus Plastic Polish
Then if you want a buffer get the PC 7424 from coastal tools.com. It comes with a velcro backing plate for fast pad changes. But it only comes with one pad.If you want a nice package PC, Backing plate, Pads and instructions get it here.Click here to buy Porter Cable Buffer If you buy this kit you have everything to polish and wax your car too.
Old 07-28-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I tried that plastic polish and it doesn't do anything on plexi or even the headlights.
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

jonw440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
I tried that plastic polish and it doesn't do anything on plexi or even the headlights.
Wich one? the Meg or Plexus?
I use Pexus everyware. I has scratches ion my guage istrument cluster and Meguiars was the only thing that removed them.
Well try some paint polish, THEN the Meg or Plexus. Or try some 2000 grit sanpaper use with water to wetsand it. Keep me posted.
Old 07-28-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The meguiar's didn't work. I'll try some glaze/polish for paint first and see if it helps.
Old 07-28-2004
Banned

MeguiarsEM is an unknown quantity at this point
Try the Plast X. I've seen it take off sanding marks.
Old 07-28-2004
Premium Member

I did meguiar's show car glaze, then meguiar's plastic polish, and finally wax on the headlights. They look really shiny, but the scratches and bumps are still there. Maybe they're just too messed up to fix. I'll try the plast-x later.
Old 08-06-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
meguiars plast x
Old 08-06-2004
Banned

MeguiarsEM is an unknown quantity at this point
Polishes and a Glaze are the same thing. All they do is create a gloss on a paint finish and brings out optical clarity in a clear plastic. Polishes and Glaze won't remove scrathes, only paint cleaners can like Scratch X, Deep Crystal Cleaner and Clear Plastic cleaner. If your using Meguairs Plastic Polish(#10) you need to start it off with the Plastic cleaner (#17). The Plastic Cleaner takes out the scrathes and the polish (#10) makes it clear. It's basically a old two step process. Try Plast X and some elbow grease for quicker results. If that method doesn't work you're looking at something that needs to be buffed out by machine (preferably a Dual Action Polisher).

Originally Posted by gearbox
I did meguiar's show car glaze, then meguiar's plastic polish, and finally wax on the headlights. They look really shiny, but the scratches and bumps are still there. Maybe they're just too messed up to fix. I'll try the plast-x later.

Last edited by MeguiarsEM; 08-07-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2004
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
I can vouch for the Meguires Plish then Cleaner works WONDERS...

My mom has a z3 and the rear window is plastic- gets all shitty looking after a while, i do this and it takes it away and makes it look brand new.

Did the same on my friend Jeep Wrangler, after going off-road all the time his windows were all scratched to hell, he didnt belive me I could fix them, so I did the 2 steps on them, looked brand-new. He was AMAZED...