Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Plexi Glass Scratches? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/161442-plexi-glass-scratches.html)

ZSKCivic01 06-29-2004 09:08 PM

Plexi Glass Scratches?

Hey everyone, in my custom trunk setup that I did in my trunk, I have my sub amplifier integrated into the trunk floor and a piece of lexan plexi glass covering it ontop. Over the months, the lexan has gotten scrathed up and I was wondering if there is anything to take the scratches out or reduce their appearance? Thanks.

ZSKCivic01 07-06-2004 10:41 AM

Anyone?

silverem2 07-18-2004 03:18 PM

i would also like to know, except this would be for my headlights, but the solution would most likely be the same, buffing it out? what kind of buffer tho?

dret 07-21-2004 01:27 PM

for headlights.. buff it out..
i just recently buffed mine and they are like brand new..

BUT BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!.. we experimented on a old set of 96 civic headlights.. (laying around the shop).. and we buffed it too long and the heat from the buffer melted part of the plastic!

silverem2 07-22-2004 05:20 PM

what kind of buffer do i use?

jonw440 07-28-2004 09:30 AM

For Plexiglas you need plastic polish. You can try a "MILD" car polish". It can be done by hand, though a Porter cable 7424 buffer would make the work alot easier, and better results.
For plastic polish I recommend.Meguiars Plastic polish or Plexus Plastic Polish
Then if you want a buffer get the PC 7424 from coastal tools.com. It comes with a velcro backing plate for fast pad changes. But it only comes with one pad.If you want a nice package PC, Backing plate, Pads and instructions get it here.Click here to buy Porter Cable Buffer If you buy this kit you have everything to polish and wax your car too.

gearbox 07-28-2004 09:56 AM

I tried that plastic polish and it doesn't do anything on plexi or even the headlights.

jonw440 07-28-2004 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox
I tried that plastic polish and it doesn't do anything on plexi or even the headlights.

Wich one? the Meg or Plexus?
I use Pexus everyware. I has scratches ion my guage istrument cluster and Meguiars was the only thing that removed them.
Well try some paint polish, THEN the Meg or Plexus. Or try some 2000 grit sanpaper use with water to wetsand it. Keep me posted.

gearbox 07-28-2004 12:12 PM

The meguiar's didn't work. I'll try some glaze/polish for paint first and see if it helps.

MeguiarsEM 07-28-2004 12:57 PM

Try the Plast X. I've seen it take off sanding marks. :tup:

gearbox 07-28-2004 08:53 PM

I did meguiar's show car glaze, then meguiar's plastic polish, and finally wax on the headlights. They look really shiny, but the scratches and bumps are still there. Maybe they're just too messed up to fix. I'll try the plast-x later.

rckdrmr 08-06-2004 01:13 AM

meguiars plast x :tup:

MeguiarsEM 08-06-2004 03:51 PM

Polishes and a Glaze are the same thing. All they do is create a gloss on a paint finish and brings out optical clarity in a clear plastic. Polishes and Glaze won't remove scrathes, only paint cleaners can like Scratch X, Deep Crystal Cleaner and Clear Plastic cleaner. If your using Meguairs Plastic Polish(#10) you need to start it off with the Plastic cleaner (#17). The Plastic Cleaner takes out the scrathes and the polish (#10) makes it clear. It's basically a old two step process. Try Plast X and some elbow grease for quicker results. If that method doesn't work you're looking at something that needs to be buffed out by machine (preferably a Dual Action Polisher).

Originally Posted by gearbox
I did meguiar's show car glaze, then meguiar's plastic polish, and finally wax on the headlights. They look really shiny, but the scratches and bumps are still there. Maybe they're just too messed up to fix. I'll try the plast-x later.

2k2EXCOUPE 08-06-2004 06:10 PM

I can vouch for the Meguires Plish then Cleaner works WONDERS...

My mom has a z3 and the rear window is plastic- gets all shitty looking after a while, i do this and it takes it away and makes it look brand new.

Did the same on my friend Jeep Wrangler, after going off-road all the time his windows were all scratched to hell, he didnt belive me I could fix them, so I did the 2 steps on them, looked brand-new. He was AMAZED...