Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

clay bar...sucks or do i need practice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
clay bar...sucks or do i need practice?

after everyone here saying how awesome the clay bar is i bought one and gave it a try. i got meguairs detailing package (clay bay and detail spray). the box said to wash the car first then dry it, the spray some of the detailer spray then wipe it with the clay bar. thats what i did but it left hella sticky smears on my car! i only wiped where the spray was so it was lubricated but it would still stick and smear, i was hella pissed off!! it took f*cking forever to get those marks off! was i doing something wrong, what should i do? i seriously doubt i'll use this again unless i get some tips on how to avoid this whole mess cuz for right now, IMO clay bars suck!
Old 03-18-2004
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road
umm, I think its just you man. I don't think you sprayed enough detailer on your car, which is why the clay left smears. I mean by using a clay bar, you're taking EVERYTHING off of your clearcoat, including dirt, contaminants, and even wax. Thats why you should wash your car again, then wax it after you finish clay barring. Guess you just have to be patient when detailing. I dunno man.
Old 03-18-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
you definitely did it wrong when you smeared the clay onto the finish. you don't have to apply much pressure at all to use it correctly, just spray a good amount of quik detailer (on the clay as well) and then glide the clay up & down until you notice that the contaminants, black dots, dirt, etc... is off the finish (pretend like your lightly sanding). practice makes perfect and keep trying until you get it down, i've done it several times and have had no problem. if the clay is obviously smearing onto the finish... your not spraying enough quik detailer and or applying too much pressure. good luck!

Last edited by rckdrmr; 03-18-2004 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2004
YoUnG N SuXsExFul

guamcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i didn't use the lube..and i didn't get any smears...maybe u wre pressing it to hard..
Old 03-18-2004

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i was just "running" it along the paint, i wasnt putting any elbow grease into it. i sprayed the bar too and it would smear less but still smear none the less. i was doing it in circular motions and it would slide smooth and just out of nowhere just "stick" in a spot and leave a mark. i dunno, i thought i was putting more than enough detalier spray (used up about a half a bottle on just the hood, roof, trunk) but maybe i'll try it again but if it smears just once, i'm tossing that bar in the garbage.
Old 03-18-2004
em2

sspem2 has a spectacular aura aboutsspem2 has a spectacular aura about
u suk. i was the person who said the clay bar is awesome. didnt leave no marks on my car just a clean surface.
Old 03-19-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
once it sticks stop using the clay your done. I just wax over it and it comes out perfect.
Old 03-19-2004
Banned

MeguiarsEM is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds right.

Originally posted by rckdrmr
you definitely did it wrong when you smeared the clay onto the finish. you don't have to apply that much pressure at all to use it correctly, just spray a good amount of quik detailer (on the clay as well) and then glide the clay up & down until you notice that the contaminants, black dots, dirt, etc... is off the finish (pretend like your lightly sanding). practice makes perfect and keep trying until you get it down, i've done it several times and have had no problem. if the clay is obviously smearing onto the finish... your not spraying enough quik detailer and or applying too much pressure. good luck!
Old 03-21-2004
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
wash car 1st and dont dry it... let it rinse
then...
spray a small area of your car really well
take the bar and glide it gently over your cars surface that was sprayed
then take a 100% cotton terry and remover watery/spray leftover on your paint

when youre done with the entire car, wash the car again and dry it good. then youre ready to clean/polish/wax it.
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a professional detailer and I tried Mequiars clay once and it took me longer to get the smeared clay off than it did to polish the car! If you want to go with a local store for clay go with Mothers.
Old 04-03-2004

Originally posted by AR
wash car 1st and dont dry it... let it rinse
then...
spray a small area of your car really well
take the bar and glide it gently over your cars surface that was sprayed
then take a 100% cotton terry and remover watery/spray leftover on your paint
ding ding ding! using the quik detailer sucks when using the clay bar, i just didnt dry the car and used the beaded water and it actually worked perfect! looks like theres some hope for the clay bar after all. thanks for the help
Old 04-03-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
so, whats the best way to do this now?
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

sihotan is an unknown quantity at this point
get Mothers Clay Bar, works way better
Old 05-11-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
there's also.... www.clay-magic.com
Old 05-20-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
If you got Meguiar's then it is the clay bars fault not yours. If you must buy localy I would use Mothers or Clay Magic. Will blow Mequiars' junk away.
Old 05-20-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I've heard that claymagic makes the best. I tried mothers and it wasn't working, so I just gave up for now.
Old 05-20-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
I love my Zaino clay bar. It really helps get bugs residue and crap off the car.