Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Acid Rain Damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RED03EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Acid Rain Damage

Has anyone here ever delt with this problem? I noticed about 3 days after I got my car that their was alot of spots on it. Well, not knowing what it was I dismissed it thinking it was nothing and went on my way. About 2 months later a new Accord came back with the same stuff, thats when I realized what it was.

So I talk to my boss and he gets a honda rep to come down from California supposidly and take a look at it. Well, he (the honda rep) gives me this crap about the paint not being a warrantable item on the car but he was willing to take a hit on this one and try to correct the problem.

I have talked to a few people about the fix on my paint but everyone says that they can only get about 80-90% of the damage off without painting the top of the car.

This is my questiond to everyone who reads this....

Has anyone been in this situation where acid rain has damaged the finish on the car, and if so, what happened and how did this situation turn out?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
civicdude?
Old 09-30-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Yeah im here lol....You can get the acid rain off yourself or have a reputable detailing shop or body shop do it. The car is going to need to be completely wet sanded and polished out. After the car is polished, glazed and then waxed it will look 100% better. Bring the car to a detailer or a body shop and ask them if they think they will be able to get the acid rain out with wet sanding. It may cost over $200 to do though...It is a very time consuming thing....

To get the acid rain off the windows you can try Body clay....that may work. There is a company that makes an acid rain remover for the glass but Im not sure what the name is now. Maybe if you do a search on the internet and maybe you can search a detailing forum and see if anyone there konws the product I am referring to.
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

Hey Civicdude, thanks for the insight. I took it too the body shop at work today, they are going to wetsand and buff the car like you said. And guess what, its all free!!! Honda is pickin up the tab They call it a goodwill gesture, I call it keeping me from complaining any more. I have been dealing with this matter for the past 4 months and I finally got tired of it. It doesnt help much since I work for the dealership that I bought my car from. Anyways, thanks again for the help, and I will update soon.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 10-03-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Sweet...Im glad it worked out for you. Post the pics when it is done....Its great that Honda is paying for it. It could cost around $300 to do the whole car.
Old 10-03-2003
Registered!!

Ok, bad news!!!!

The body shop at work had the car for 3 days. In that time they wet sanded and buffed the parts of the car that were effected. Well, they couldnt get any of it out, it is so far down into the clear that they would have to basically repaint the whole car, and im not even thinking of that, hell, its a 2003!!!

Now, im going to talk to the sales manager and see what I can do about getting another car or them buying it back from me. Im thinking that it could go either way. Whichever is fine with me, since I dont have to sell it any more.

So, now its back to the drawing board, so far I have kinda gone over what will happen tomorrow and I know its not going to be easy. But Im confident and ready to do what ever I have too.

Later,

Paul
Old 10-03-2003
All show!!!

EviLMyStS is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn glad I live up north
Old 10-04-2003
Registered!!

Well, today was a big wast of time. I went to work to find out that the person I need to talk too wasnt there. He said he was going to be there today, but he wasnt. It kinda irritated me, but at least I got to make some money today

Is the pullution up there not as bad EviLMyStS? I live kinda in the country so its not bad out here either. I am pretty damn sure that the damage was done at the dealership.

Late,

Paul