Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

what exactly does glaze do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
what exactly does glaze do?

I've been reading about how a lot of you here use Meguiar's #7 or some other glaze before you wax. I've only been waxing my car so far. What exactly does the glaze do, and is it an abrasive or just a shine compound? Thanks
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicdude will become famous soon enough
Glaze is not abrasive or is it any type of compound. Glaze does remove minor surface scratches, and some oxidation as long at it isnt too deep. You would use glaze to remove surface swirl marks, light haze, surface scratches, and you would also use glaze to bring gloss to the paint.

If you use the Meguires, you should apply it to a cool surface with a back and forth motion. Put a little pressure into it and apply it to the whole car. Let it sit in the shade for 30 minutes and then wipe it off with the same back and forth motion. You use this back and forth motion so you do not create swirl marks or make existing swirl marks worse. After you wipe it off, go over the whole car with a quality carnuba wax and let that dry to a haze and then wipe it off. After you wipe off all the wax, go over the car with a microfiber towel to remove and film or haze that might of been left by the wax.
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks civicdude. Another great post from the detail king! Is it okay to apply the glaze when there is wax on the car already, or should I just wait until the wax comes off?
Old 09-16-2003
Premium Member

Why would there be wax on the car? You wax after you glaze.

Wash
Clay
Glaze
Wax
Old 09-19-2003
Premium Member

I know, but I recently waxed the car already and I'm worried about applying the glaze to that. I live in an apartment so the only way I can wash it is with a bucket of water and a wash mitt.
Old 09-19-2003
Premium Member

You can glaze over wax, as long as you are going to wax after you glaze the car...
Old 09-19-2003
Premium Member

I think I might pick up a clay magic kit and do that first. Is it okay to wash with just water, or should I pick up some car wash, too. I'm assuming the clay would remove wax and all, so then I can just glaze and wax after clay.
Old 09-20-2003
Premium Member

You need to wash with soap. Water will not clean the paint. After you wash with soap...and hose the car off, you can clay the car....After you clay the car, re wash the car with soap to remove the clay residue.
Old 09-20-2003
Premium Member

Wow this will definately be a big project, since I just have a bucket to rinse with. I have to keep filling it up all the time. I took your advice and got some blue coral car wash stuff that's safe for paint and all. I guess I can do this tonight and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-21-2003
Abercrombie and Fitch

joescivic02 is on a distinguished road
sssweet ima pick me up some