SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

D17 swap No EGR to EGR

Old 10-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all-lude is an unknown quantity at this point
D17 swap No EGR to EGR

So i'm in the middle of an engine and transmission replacement. My old non vtec d17 and auto tranny were tired at 250,000 so i decided to swap in a vtec and manual trans. I didn't notice till now that the engine i'm installing has a EGR valve as my old one didn't.
Any one know what issues this is going to cause me ? Seeing i was pre EGR and my harness and ECU aren't looking for it, should i remove it and block it off ?

EDIT:
Im also using my 2003 auto ECU and harness at the moment. The VTEC will be controlled using a VAFC2. Ive got another ECU from a manual non-vtec im going to have reflashed for my key once im finished a swap

Last edited by all-lude; 10-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17 swap No EGR to EGR

Sounds like you could simply leave the EGR valve in place and unplugged, it would cause no problems that way.

Or swap the housings off the ends of the heads to eliminate the EGR mounting point.
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

So Egr doesn't seem to be an issue. Got everything finished, just have to bleed the clutch line.

My idle is bouncy and high. I figure ive gotta do the idle relearn process, tried once without luck. The vehicle revs up to about 2500 at startup. I've idled till full temp, engine fan came on and i let it run a bit in order to burp the coolant system. Shut it down and remove the negative cable for 5 minutes.
The process im reading is to rev to 3K and hold for 6 Minutes, then let off accelerator and idle for 5 minutes. Restart car and drive as normal.

Problem being the idle is sitting around 2500 RPM, when I push the accelerator to get it up to 3000RPM and hold, the RPMS slowly rise. Let off the pedal and it will idle at 3000K for a few minutes, and then starts to fluctuate from 800-2500.

Ive scanned the engine, no codes. TPS voltage at closed is 9.4%

Any one with input on the idle relearn?
Old 10-14-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

TPS voltage at closed is 9.4%
That's not a voltage reading.
My idle is bouncy and high.
Stuck open IAC, and/or vacuum leaks?

Pull the lid off the air breather and reach in the throttle body and plug off the port with your fingers. Does that kill the engine, or bring the idle speed down a whole bunch? It should bring idle down a bit lower than correct, like about 600 or so. If it doesn't bring it down that far, look elsewhere for vacuum leaks.

Broke the plastic intake manifold?
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

It ended up being that my heated mirrors were switched on and that extra voltage draw was throwing off the idle relearn. Running beautifully now
Old 10-14-2014

You got heated ears? You must be in Canada?
Yes that would have been an electrical load. Odd, I wouldn't have expected that to make so much difference, but glad you figured it out.
Old 01-23-2017
Registered!!

WhiteCivicEx01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 01 Honda Civic EX the motor is a D17a2(that I've been told) and the head is outof a D17a1 I have no EGR but I do have the plug in on top of the head to plug it in I do not have the coolant housing that supports the EGR does the A1 head have the piping to support the EGR or do I need to get a new head? I've also found you could delete the EGR and possibility of doing so because a new head is coming around $400 when a motor is $600 and I don't really have the tools to do this please help!!!!!
Old 01-23-2017
Registered!!

Alegations80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how this relates. But I bought a d17a from Japan from a co. Here in town. Had lots of troubles along the way, being that the old motor was locked up the crank shaft wouldn't turn so getting the transmission of was a bitch. Swapped couple things like the new motor didn't have cruse control, swapped the intake, the egr canister was different, swapped it. Just like ezone told me. Just make the new motor look exactly like the old one. Did the water pump and timing kit, new axels control arms and bushings. I'm not a mechanic by no means. So week ago when filled fluids and turned the key. The dang thing turned right on! Now my problem is, it has problems shifting if I don't let of the gas it acts like it's redline that gear. There's a code for the v tech. It clears but comes right back on. Driving it to work couple days and seams like doesn't go into overdrive (5 gear). I have one harness plug that has no place to plug in. Any clue what's going on?
Old 01-23-2017

Originally Posted by WhiteCivicEx01
I have an 01 Honda Civic EX the motor is a D17a2(that I've been told) and the head is outof a D17a1 I have no EGR but I do have the plug in on top of the head to plug it in I do not have the coolant housing that supports the EGR does the A1 head have the piping to support the EGR or do I need to get a new head? I've also found you could delete the EGR and possibility of doing so because a new head is coming around $400 when a motor is $600 and I don't really have the tools to do this please help!!!!!
Missing VTEC parts is gonna cause all kinds of headaches. Get the correct cylinder head or have your original fixed if possible.

the parts for EGR can be swapped from one head to the other as needed.

Originally Posted by Alegations80
Now my problem is, it has problems shifting if I don't let of the gas it acts like it's redline that gear. There's a code for the v tech. It clears but comes right back on.

I have one harness plug that has no place to plug in. Any clue what's going on?
You put in a D17A? If it has the VTEC solenoid but no pressure switch for the VTEC, you need to swap that switch from the old one onto your new unit. (I assume the stray 2-wire connector is near that)

Driving it to work couple days and seams like doesn't go into overdrive (5 gear).
It's a 4 speed not 5. With lockup converter which might make it feel like a 5th gear shift.
Got any fault codes for the trans? P0740 code?

Is the shift complaint because of the low rev limiter set because of the vtec code?

Last edited by ezone; 01-23-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2017
Registered!!

Yes sir ! it absolutely is a 2 pin connector. The shift seams compliant, as long as I don't "hit the gas". No tranny code. Only the one 1259. I'm up when I should be sleeping.. Hopefully with some help I'll have some time this weekend to really dig in to what the heck I did wrong this time..
So ok, did I install an incorrect d series motor? I'll
Old 01-27-2017
Registered!!

Oh yeah. So what kind of damage am I doing driving it the way it is?
Old 01-27-2017

So ok, did I install an incorrect d series motor?
Not really, you just didn't swap enough parts to make it exactly like the engine you took out.

You can't make the computer happy if it can't find all the working parts it's supposed to connect with.

So what kind of damage am I doing driving it the way it is?
I can't answer that.

If my cars redline was only 3000 I'd be pizzed. Fix that and see how the trans acts afterwards.
Old 03-17-2023
Registered!!

harsh is an unknown quantity at this point

hi boss i need some help!!
2001 civic d17a1 without egr valve to swap into cheap d17 (non vtec) with egr valve to be swapped. what other things are needed to be done or could i just swap it and leave the egr valve unplugged and it would be fine?
Old 03-17-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if your ecu is for a non-egr, just plug any openings and swap in
it will just be dead weight.

it was already answered in the 2nd post
Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like you could simply leave the EGR valve in place and unplugged, it would cause no problems that way.

Or swap the housings off the ends of the heads to eliminate the EGR mounting point.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (03-17-2023)
Old 03-18-2023
Registered!!

kenbahn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
if your ecu is for a non-egr, just plug any openings and swap in
it will just be dead weight.

it was already answered in the 2nd post
I second the above. Leave unplugged or remove housing.