SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

Couple Questions About D17A1 to D17A2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mourtzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Couple Questions About D17A1 to D17A2

Hey guys, ok so just to let you all know, I have been searching for a while now and I haven't been able to come across much that pertains to these questions...

First off, I'm swapping my D17A1 to a D17A2 - Not for performance gains, just for high kms and a cheap D17A2 that I was able to come across.
I have an 05 Civic Dx
So far, I have a new ECU - that will match the engine (04-05 EX MT ECU)
And the engine (plus the different headers/exhaust)

What I'm wondering is this: Will I need a new engine harness?
I haven't found a solid answer for this as some people have said that you can just run the VTEC wires to the ECU.
If it is as simple as running wires - Will I have to run anything else aside from VTEC? (and how many wires are there to run? I've heard only 2 but there seems to be 3 pins on the ECU (01-03) that include VTEC)
If I can simply run the wires to the ECU - can anyone provide me with a diagram/pinout for the 04-05 EX ECU?
I've found several for the 01-03's but nothing for 04-05.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Josh
Old 10-31-2012
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough
Re: Couple Questions About D17A1 to D17A2

Are you planning on swapping your exhaust too? If you are then you will need a new harness for the o2 sensor down from the cat. If not then you can run a wire from the ecu to the stock dx o2 sensor. Search some more for the pin out. I can't remember it off the top of my head
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

Mourtzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea you have to swap the exhaust with the A2 because the A1 headers are built into the cat - I have the different downpipe.
I've heard that I can just extend the secondary o2 sensor as the two primary o2 sensors for 04-05 models were both wideband. So I'll just extend the secondary o2 sensor.
And in regards to the ECU - I found the pinout locations via a different site. All I was able to dig up here was the 01-03 pinout, not the 04-05 and the ECU's changed a bit in 04.
Thanks for the reply though!
Old 12-26-2012
Registered!!

talktime is an unknown quantity at this point

What did you end up doing with the secondary O2 wiring?
Old 12-26-2012
Registered!!

when i installed my 'a2 i used the 'a1 harness and ecu and exhaust so i didn't have to change the o2 wires. the ecu that i had recieved with my motor was for a '05, which would've meant more money and work converting for the wideband o2 sensors
the way i have it now along with apexi vafc2, its been just over a year and 25k kms and absolutly no issues.
and this way i did not have to get my keys flashed at the stealership- saving money

Last edited by j_dock69; 12-26-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

aircooledjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mourtzy
Hey guys, ok so just to let you all know, I have been searching for a while now and I haven't been able to come across much that pertains to these questions...

First off, I'm swapping my D17A1 to a D17A2 - Not for performance gains, just for high kms and a cheap D17A2 that I was able to come across.
I have an 05 Civic Dx
So far, I have a new ECU - that will match the engine (04-05 EX MT ECU)
And the engine (plus the different headers/exhaust)

What I'm wondering is this: Will I need a new engine harness?
I haven't found a solid answer for this as some people have said that you can just run the VTEC wires to the ECU.
If it is as simple as running wires - Will I have to run anything else aside from VTEC? (and how many wires are there to run? I've heard only 2 but there seems to be 3 pins on the ECU (01-03) that include VTEC)
If I can simply run the wires to the ECU - can anyone provide me with a diagram/pinout for the 04-05 EX ECU?
I've found several for the 01-03's but nothing for 04-05.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Josh
I had a very similar question which no one on other forums seems to be able to answer. I was also planning on doing a d17a2 engine and auto tranny swap on my 05dx auto (burning oil). In order to benefit from the EX tranny (slightly more agressive gearing) will i need to get an EX ecu/harness or should it not matter? I'm also concerned with EGR valve issues, if i buy a cheap older EX motor will i run into the EGR code? Do all 01-03 EX engines have an EGR valve? Also, i'll probably be running VAFC to avoid reflash. Thanks
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

I removed my egr. When using the dx ecu you won't have any codes because its not programmed in the dx ecu. Remove it and put a block off plate on and problem solved
Old 01-25-2013
Registered!!

Devildog0905 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j_dock69
when i installed my 'a2 i used the 'a1 harness and ecu and exhaust so i didn't have to change the o2 wires. the ecu that i had recieved with my motor was for a '05, which would've meant more money and work converting for the wideband o2 sensors
the way i have it now along with apexi vafc2, its been just over a year and 25k kms and absolutly no issues.
and this way i did not have to get my keys flashed at the stealership- saving money
Was it easy to wire the vafc2? How did you hook up the vtec? I found a plug and play harness for $80 but how will I hook up the vtec (I have a lx)?
Old 01-29-2013
Registered!!

Follow the DIY on here and you will be fine
Old 01-30-2013
Registered!!

aircooledjames is an unknown quantity at this point

I removed my egr. When using the dx ecu you won't have any codes because its not programmed in the dx ecu. Remove it and put a block off plate on and problem solved
It appears you have an older civic, the 04-05 (all trims) use the EGR.
Old 06-19-2013
Registered!!

I know it's a late response but if you read my posts you would know I'm driving a '02 dx sedan. I swapped in a '05 d17a2 and using the stock exhaust with the original d17a1 harness and ecu. I've got a vafc2 wired in for vtec and now have a crower stage 1 cam and still running strong
Old 02-01-2017
Registered!!

RoseyEm2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm doing the same set up as you but did you run your solenoid and does the VAFC2 tell the VTEC solenoid to engage at a certain rpm or do you have to do it manually?
Old 02-02-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You (or a tuner) has to set the VTEC to engage at whatever RPM you desire. When I had a VAFC-II (in my 02 ex, granted it was for tuning AFR for a boost build), the tuner hooked up the VTEC wire (which I later disconnected because it was redundant for my setup) and set it to engage at 3500 RPM.
Old 02-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
You (or a tuner) has to set the VTEC to engage at whatever RPM you desire. When I had a VAFC-II (in my 02 ex, granted it was for tuning AFR for a boost build), the tuner hooked up the VTEC wire (which I later disconnected because it was redundant for my setup) and set it to engage at 3500 RPM.
This thing is, I'm doing a 02 LX to EX VTEC swap. I've been told that using the VAFC is alot easier and better than getting a ECU and etc. I have no idea how to hook up the VTEC solenoid to the VAFC.
Old 02-02-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...p-ex-vtec.html

there's the DIY guide for installing an -a2 head on an -a1. hopefully this helps.
Old 02-03-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...p-ex-vtec.html

there's the DIY guide for installing an -a2 head on an -a1. hopefully this helps.
So I found out that VAFC basically sends power to the VTEC solenoid at a certain rpm automatically but a question I have is do I need to wire only one connector that is the actual VTEC solenoid connector or so I need to wire the 2 connectors that the VTEC solenoid has? I think it's just called the oil pressure switch and the other connector is just to power it. Can you help me clear this up?