SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

Vtec and Non-Vtec Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zean is an unknown quantity at this point
Vtec and Non-Vtec Engine Swap

Hello, Honda Civic Experts!

I have 2001 Honda Civic Coupe LX 1.7L Base Model with Automatic Transmission (276,990 miles). Last November had an accident, engine oil pan got cracked & engine's front seal got broken. I am trying to put 2001 Honda Civic EX 1.7L Engine (71,000 miles)- I do not remember this vehicle was automatic or 5speed- into my car. LX is the non vtec and EX is the vtec engine. Let me ask you; experts! What is the difference?
Replaced New parts on the Vtec engine - Wire Harness, Seals, Timing Belt & Cover & Idler, Water Pump, New Oil Pan, Oil Filter, Sensors, Thermostat & gasket, intake & exhaust gasket, Head gasket, etc.
Currently, my vehicle is at the Repair shop but, the mechanic said he can't able to swap the engine. Because my car engine is non vtec, and my replacement engine is vtec. Can anyone help?

Last edited by zean; 03-21-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Vtec and Non-Vtec Engine Swap

I believe you just need an ecu swap or put on a piggy back control like an Apexi.
Old 03-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zean is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Vtec and Non-Vtec Engine Swap

I know my LX engine doesn’t have the vtec solenoid plug.

Question: I know it doesn’t have the vtec solenoid plug in my LX Engine. it’s okay that I don’t connect Vtec Solenoid and the car will still run okay?

My LX, non-vtec, the motor didn’t have an EGR valve but the vtec one had an EGR built into the thermostat housing.

Question: my non-vtec motor didn’t have an EGR valve but the vtec one had an EGR built into the thermostat housing. It's okay that I don't connect EGR valve to my car will still run okay?

I have talked with the Mechanic and he said, your LX engine don't have Vtec Solenoid & EGR Plug-in. I do not give Labor Warranty after I swap EX Vtec Engine to your LX car and your vehicle is not running and I do not give the guarantee that your vehicle will run.

So, my biggest concern is I have to pay the mechanic either Vehicle is running or not after he swaps the engine. Not knowing what actually caused the problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Difference Between Vtec and Non Vtec Engine.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	89629   Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Civic EX 1700cc Vtec Engine D17A Timing Belt Side.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	89630   Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Civic EX 1700cc Vtec Engine D17A TM side.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	43.5 KB