Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here!

Boost on stock d17a1

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019
Registered!!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
05es1guy is just really nice05es1guy is just really nice05es1guy is just really nice05es1guy is just really nice05es1guy is just really nice
Boost on stock d17a1

So I've done my research, and answers to what I'd like to know are kinda all over the place. Plus most threads are super old. Okay, so where are we sitting these days with turbo kits for our cars? I have an d17a1 auto, was gonna kswap it, but decided to buy another car next summer. Agree or disagree, it's all good, but I'd just like some input. I want to turbo my car for cheap, just to have some fun the rest of the summer, so I'm gonna get an ebay turbo kit, my buddy nate has a lot of experiance with ebay turbos and is running 10 sec car with one. No probs, not a civic however. Anyways, after getting it installed, what do you recommend me do for fuel/timing? I'm plannin on real low boost, not expecting more then 150 whp. And obviously I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on engine management. Can I get buy with an safc? What are your thoughts? Thanks guys
Old 07-22-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Boost on stock d17a1

Most basic and cheap way is a piggy back system. I think the big one people use is the Apexi FIC or something.
Old 07-22-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

@GolNat mixing up your brands

AEM makes the FI/C, but that's just me being pedantic.

GReddy emanage was popular back in the day for fuel management. I ran the A'PEXi VAFC-II for a while, but it wasn't the best tuning solution.

No matter what, any piggyback unit (even the FI/C) will be fighting with the ECU. The F/IC just does a better job at managing that battle. If you wanna go boost, fuel management is probably the one thing you don't wanna cheap out on. It'll make or break your setup. If you're aiming for 150whp, you'll at least need to run RSX-S injectors
Old 07-22-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Whoops. Starts with an A has a F and C in it lol

Josh set it straight
Old 07-23-2019
Registered!!

05es1guy is just really nice05es1guy is just really nice05es1guy is just really nice05es1guy is just really nice05es1guy is just really nice

So if I install a turbo kit, rsx s injectors, and use the aem fic, it's possible to run 5-7 lbs boost and PROBABLY be alright? Lol. I've read that the aem fic works pretty well in low boost settings, but also from a pretty reputable shop here in town that routinely tunes with the aem brand that they could tune it, but a couple weeks later it could be running like ****, and I would need it retuned again, so they prefer not to tune the aem fic. So what do you guys think? I wanna make it a lil faster to have some fun with it this summer, but not wanting to dump a whole lot of money in it, cuz I'm gonna be looking at getting another 7th gen in better shape, with a manual trans this next spring. Or if I can find an already kswaped or turbo 7th gen, that would be good too. But other then a cheap turbo, I'm not seeing many other options, I dont wanna use nitrous either. Blah.. problems, lol

Last edited by 05es1guy; 07-23-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazicardi is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are you ditching the K-Swap for another car if I can ask? 7th gens are pretty light and K-swap is pretty easy with them from what I've heard.

I plan on using the KPro for the D17 and then running a cheap turbo setup on the stock engine until it blows. Then use the Kpro in the K-Swap. K-Pro is like a quarter of the price of a K-swap anyways.
Old 07-23-2019
Registered!!

Did ya read my last post? Lol, I plan on getting another 7th gen, I just dont feel mine is worth putting all that money into it, with rust, and damage on the rear from an idiot hitting my car while it was parked. I want a nice car to start with if I'm gonna do a kswap
Old 07-23-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,303 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

He also has an auto trans, cannot run Kpro with an auto (at least to my knowledge).
Old 07-23-2019
Registered!!

Yeah, no kpro with auto, already checked on that
Old 07-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazicardi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
He also has an auto trans, cannot run Kpro with an auto (at least to my knowledge).
Oops. I skimmed the auto trans part. KPro for D17 does not support auto transmissions. My bad.

edit: @05es1guy I read the bit about you planning on getting another car, didn't read the bit about another 7th gen haha. I think I need to slow down and actually read what people are saying on here.

Last edited by crazicardi; 07-23-2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote someone else
Old 07-23-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazicardi
I read the bit about you planning on getting another car, didn't read the bit about another 7th gen haha. I think I need to slow down and actually read what people are saying on here.
Dude, I've been here forever and I still do that