Engine Performance Modifications Post your questions about how to modify your engine here Swaps, Flashing, bolt-ons, etc.

D17 Turbo VS K20a2 Swap... which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
dec: damn you're cocky.

you still haven't answered any of my questions in post #23
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

K20EQUIPPED is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, in the short run maybe, but that one time you go to do so might be the time your D17 that could, might not be up to the stresses of a turbo and give out.
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

shaman can only hope to improve
WOW... i wasnt expecting such a reaction.... but thanks to everyone for there replies... i have read each of your comments and i have gave them serious consideration.

Now i have a few statements/queestions.

Personally if i do a k20a2 swap.... it will cost me about $6000-7000 installed canadian
I figured if i do this, i dont have to worry about damaging my engine in the same way that i would if i were to boost my d17 with stock internals

I did a quick calculation, and for about $6000 canadian i can have a nice turbo setup that can handle 8-10 psi.... HOWEVER this involves alot of time because it is a hastle to look for parts to build your internals.

I figured with a k20a2 swap i can have it fully installed and ready to go at 170whp in about 3 weeks.

Honestly though i am still not sure what to do.... i dont want to pay $7000 for a swap and then regret not boosting instead.
Old 02-09-2005
Boosted Auto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deciuss is an unknown quantity at this point
im not cocky i just hate people like K20EQUIPPED that know nothing about a turbo on a d17 and keep saying swap is better its cheeper ect ect.

my car sucks heck the trunk is even starting to rust due to somone scrached it but with my turbo the truth is i will pull on a swaped civic that has no other mods to it.
Old 02-09-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by shaman
Honestly though i am still not sure what to do.... i dont want to pay $7000 for a swap and then regret not boosting instead.
perhaps this will persuade you ...

mods are:

stock k20a2 with:

IPS-K2 cams
itr manifold w/ bored tb
hondata intake manifold gasket
cold air intake with prototype racing bell
dc race header
5zigen catback
kpro

AND consider the fact that this is n/a ... so you won't have as many traction problems as you will with a turbo
Old 02-09-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by deciuss
im not cocky i just hate people like K20EQUIPPED that know nothing about a turbo on a d17 and keep saying swap is better its cheeper ect ect.

my car sucks heck the trunk is even starting to rust due to somone scrached it but with my turbo the truth is i will pull on a swaped civic that has no other mods to it.
are you just going to ignore my questions on post 23?
Old 02-09-2005
Boosted Auto

i allready said my set up cost me only 3,500
i dont know what psi im running the guys at the shop said it feals like 6 and sounds like 6. i dont have time to set up a controller ect ect due to school and its fing cold out.

what about manuel civics? thats a differnet story im coming from the perspective of a auto civic driver but K20EQUIPPED had to say swap is better then any d17 ect ect ect
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by shaman
Personally if i do a k20a2 swap.... it will cost me about $6000-7000 installed canadian
Where are you located in Canada? I had my swap done at ALTECH in Toronto....Joe did a hella job...Everything runs smooth, clean swap...very professional...

http://www.altechperformance.com/main.shtml
Old 02-09-2005
Boosted Auto

my posts number 16 and 29 actualy answerd your own questons for you and 16 was even before you asked
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

i dont know what psi im running the guys at the shop said it feals like 6 and sounds like 6.

LOL that's sounds reasuring
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

aellerman is an unknown quantity at this point
so $6000 CDN is a completely built engine and a complete turbo kit? my complete turbo kit will cost me bout 1500 when done all my stuff is brand new turbo, intercooler, bov, manifold, e-manage, wastegate, all the lines, piping will be custom when install...injectors will be used

install with wideband dyno tuning and custom down pipe, intercooler piping and whatever other piping will be $1000

so im 2500 cdn MAX (might be a bit less) in the whole with wideband tuning...

if you build your engine and get good tuning you can run more than 8-10 psi... wasn't some guy running 14 safely on his built d17?

6000 CDN just sounds way over priced man i dont think it'll cost anywhere near that much
Old 02-09-2005
Boosted Auto

so? i dont care and um actualy i trust them since they have been working on civics forever and have there own 10 second shop car that should be in the 9's this summer since they had to redo the turbo due to traction problems and it was to big.
Old 02-09-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

i allready said my set up cost me only 3,500
i dont know what psi im running the guys at the shop said it feals like 6 and sounds like 6. i dont have time to set up a controller ect ect due to school and its fing cold out.

what about manuel civics? thats a differnet story im coming from the perspective of a auto civic driver but K20EQUIPPED had to say swap is better then any d17 ect ect ect
you can't judge how many boost you're running by listening to it ... nor could you just how much boost you're running by "feeling" it ...

once again, I encourage you to run your car at the track when it starts getting warm out. I guarantee you that at 6-7 psi you're not gonna be seeing 13's
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

so? i dont care and um actualy i trust them since they have been working on civics forever and have there own 10 second shop car that should be in the 9's this summer since they had to redo the turbo due to traction problems and it was to big.
Maybe they had to redo the turbo and engine because it "sounded" like it was kicking out only 8psi but only "felt" like 6psi.
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

oh, and my buddy has a k20a2 in his ep3 with dc header, full exaust (no cat), re-flashed ecu 8800 redline (i think, maybe 8600), AEM CAI

he put down 188whp...
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

why don't you guys make your own thread where you can bitch back and forth at each other... this guy just has q's and wants them answered...
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
you can't judge how many boost you're running by listening to it ... nor could you just how much boost you're running by "feeling" it ...

once again, I encourage you to run your car at the track when it starts getting warm out. I guarantee you that at 6-7 psi you're not gonna be seeing 13's
Old 02-09-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Originally Posted by aellerman
so $6000 CDN is a completely built engine and a complete turbo kit? my complete turbo kit will cost me bout 1500 when done all my stuff is brand new turbo, intercooler, bov, manifold, e-manage, wastegate, all the lines, piping will be custom when install...injectors will be used

install with wideband dyno tuning and custom down pipe, intercooler piping and whatever other piping will be $1000

so im 2500 cdn MAX (might be a bit less) in the whole with wideband tuning...

if you build your engine and get good tuning you can run more than 8-10 psi... wasn't some guy running 14 safely on his built d17?

6000 CDN just sounds way over priced man i dont think it'll cost anywhere near that much
how do you get all those parts for $1500 cdn? ... must have gotten it from someone who robbed someone ;P

the only safe 14 psi is from either a tuned motor or a built motor.
Old 02-09-2005
Boosted Auto

funny i never said at 6psi will i be running 13's nor 14's nor 15's nor 16 ect ect ect ect. where did i say that? find it and i will eat my own ****.

you sure as heck can feal the differnce between 3 psi and 10 psi ect ect hence they said im some where in between that probably at 5 or 6

all i have been trying to say is auto turboed d17> then a stock swaped k20

Last edited by deciuss; 02-09-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
how do you get all those parts for $1500 cdn? ... must have gotten it from someone who robbed someone ;P

the only safe 14 psi is from either a tuned motor or a built motor.

hahaha... nah, all legit.. i've been putting together my kit for a good 4-5 months now... just waiting, taking my time till i find good deals... patience is key
Old 02-09-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

funny i never said at 6psi will i be running 13's nor 14's nor 15's nor 16 ect ect ect ect. where did i say that? find it and i will eat my own ****.

you sure as heck can feal the differnce between 3 psi and 10 psi ect ect hence they said im some where in between that probably at 5 or 6

all i have been trying to say is auto turboed d17> then a stock swaped k20
yup, you can feel a difference between 3 and 10.... only if you are comparing 3 psi with 10 psi ... but since you don't have a boost controller, you could be running anywhere between 3 and 10 psi.

ok, in that sense ... yes ... auto turbo d17 > stock swapped k20 .... but I've never heard of a stock k20 swap ... most people end up getting at least i/e/hondata ;P
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

First of all I know enough not to Turbo an unbuilt D17...and 2nd I would have enough knowledge to get my engine tuned and make sure I know how much boost im running instead going on what someone says it "sounds and feels" like.
Old 02-09-2005
Boosted Auto

but that cost more cash. no matter what you do to your car turbo or swap there are little things that you dont think of that add up. and your never done well untill you are done. for a honda thats full engen build ect for a swap thats turbo then engen build. heck ya the turboed swap is gona stomp on any d17 and eat more for breakfast. but they have spent way more and could have just started on a better platform.
Old 02-09-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

^^ agreed ... my next car will probably be an 03/04 Cobra ... i/e/pulleys = low 12's
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

BMW 330ci would be a cool platform
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

sil04ver is an unknown quantity at this point
Will the cost of a K20 swap go down within the next few years? Or will there be some less expensive turbo kits out there? I just started college too, and I'm in no position to shell out all this cash now. I hate being slow
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

turbo kits will stay the same, k20's will have more miles on them so they'll go down
Old 02-09-2005
TAQUITOS!!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
slow? anyone can drive 100mph...just a matter of how fast you can get up there
Old 02-09-2005
Boosted Auto

K20EQUIPPED damn i cant hate you no more man. that bmw is the one i was gona get and turbo it to bad its now my buy a house fund.
Old 02-09-2005
Registered!!

K20EQUIPPED damn i cant hate you no more man. that bmw is the one i was gona get and turbo it to bad its now my buy a house fund.
There is no hate here brother, just two people with two different views...
And BMW's are sick, my father has a 540i and the odd time Im blessed to drive it, it's better then sex.

Quick Reply: D17 Turbo VS K20a2 Swap... which is better?