2001-2005 e-brake with cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022
7th Gen Victim

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
crajnai has a spectacular aura aboutcrajnai has a spectacular aura about
2001-2005 e-brake with cup holder

This is a word of caution

to anybody who has a Civic EX in the seventh generation with a cupholder in the back of the console.

if you need to adjust your E brake you absolutely must remove the entire center console. I followed the guidance of a few videos and folks who just remove the back cover. This does not apply to any consul that has a cupholder. If you have that back cupholder there are at least four more screws that you’ll see in this picture that you will break off like I did.

I managed to get my E brake adjusted, after discovering the nut was stripped out I put another one on there and got it right. But I now have a broken back cover, which I will patch up. I also no longer have a cupholder, the irony. But I’m going to take the cover for it and cover up the whole with the front panel of the cup holder.

Also, don’t ask me how to remove the consul. I took everything apart from what I could tell and remove screws and it still didn’t budge. So I don’t know about that.
The following 2 users liked this post by crajnai:
GolNat (05-22-2022), xRiCeBoYx (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIngram is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001-2005 e-brake with cup holder

Originally Posted by crajnai
I followed the guidance of a few videos and folks who just remove the back cover.
Can you throw one of those videos into the thread?
Old 05-23-2022
7th Gen Victim

and

Don’t do what these guys say if you have the slide out cup holder and actually care about it.

I am considering a junkyard cover without the cup holder as a replacement if I get bored.
The following users liked this post:
xRiCeBoYx (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting that up! When I had my 2002 ex, I found it much easier and faster to take the center console out for anything under that thing. It was definitely nice having the mobility to manipulate those nuts. I couldn't imagine doing it just by taking the cupholder off. My rear cupholder got stepped on and broke, so instead of fixing it, I epoxied it in place, since it was a garbage cupholder anyways. lol

To take the entire center console off:
  • 2 screws on the back/sides (you may have to slide your seats forward to access, they also hold down the back panel you have in the first picture)
  • 2 pop rivets up front in the driver/passenger footwells (depress the center of them, and they come right out)
  • 2 screws under the little center pocket area. To access those screws:
    • Remove the piece that surrounds the e-brake (if you have the retractable door pocket, open that and gently yank upwards -- opening the compartment gives you something to grab hold of), and you should be able to release all the clips that hold it on.
    • The center pocket should come with that whole assembly giving you access to the remaining screws.
  • After that, remove the shift **** (and I apologize, I have no idea any extra steps involved in the AT), and you should be able to remove the entire center console by finagling it out of place.

***Disclaimer*** I haven't messed with a 7thgen since at least 2017, but I can visualize me taking everything apart still

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 05-23-2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2022
7th Gen Victim

Thanks Rice. Hopefully it will save someone a headache. Would have been nice to know about the screws under the pocket thing and the rivets.

For AT just pry off the two covers and it’s wide open from there. I did that but obviously found no mounting screws.
Old 05-23-2022
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

np, that's what we're here for. I added a bit extra. Specifically, why you open the little door for the compartment next to the e-brake. It's literally to give you something to grab onto. If you've never separated that piece before, it'll be in there pretty good. After a few times, it'll come out without much trouble.