Interior Post about Interior parts, seats, consoles, etc

04 civic ex cluster help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 04 civic ex cluster help please

I have a 04 civic ex with 126k miles. I woke up this morning and the mph was not working I noticed 50 yards out the drive way I could hear a ticking under the dash. I noticed after about 5 mins the mph wasn’t working at all( all other gauges working) . I did the self diagnostic and it sweeped just fine( min max min) After an hour of driving the mph started working. Could this be a bad speed sensor or just loose connection ? No cel codes of any kinds. Thank you for any advice or help.
Old 08-15-2018
Registered!!

Re: 04 civic ex cluster help please

No one ?
Old 08-15-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Where was the ticking coming from? You were supposed to use your ears to precisely locate that before it stopped.

Got a scanner that can display live engine data?
When the speedometer is obviously wrong, does VSS value match what it shows?
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

It’s coming from under the dash, and no I don’t have a live scanner. It seems to work now whenever you drive for 30+ mins either it starts working on its own or when you stop and go again it starts to work. Car sits 12 hours during day for work. When I come out it works, but when it sits overnight it doesn’t work in the morning.
Old 08-16-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure the alternator mounting bolts are tight!
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

i have never seen a 2004 civic to see if the speedometer is electric or mechanical, but hear me out...

on my 1992 ford, the speedometer cable clicks as it rotated in its housing when it is improperly routed or needs to be grease. the accepted fix is to spray white lithium grease into the cable housing at the dashboard side.

as for only working after driving for 30 minutes, cold metal is shorter than hot metal, so it is possible that is is not fully seated at one end and just barely makes contact when it warms up.

autozone implies it's a mechanical, cable driven unit, so just have a look, grease it, make sure it's seated/clipped on correctly.

Old 08-16-2018

Its electric. All but the fuel gauge run using data sent by the pcm over a communication metwork