Dome light stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondaman4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Dome light stopped working

Hello all.

All of a sudden the dome light in my '03 Civic stopped working when doors open (or when sliding the dome button to the "ON" position). I thought it was the bulb but then found out the bulb is good. I know this can be a little more complicated than in previous models. So, any one can tell me what to look for ?
Is this in any way tied to the DRL issue these cars have?
Old 05-12-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Dome light stopped working

Go to an auto parts store, buy a Haynes manual for your vehicle.

check all the fuses/relays that the manual lists in the circuit.
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Check the #3 (7.5A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box. This fuse also protects the trunk light, ignition switch light and spotlights.
Old 05-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What else doesn't work?
Door ajar chime still works?
Old 06-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondaman4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry about the late reply and thanks for the replies. Last time I checked there was only the first reply. So I stopped checking.

ezone, door ajar chime (when key's in the ignition) still works. It's only the dome light. It actually worked a couple of times after posting here, then stopped, then worked, then stopped again and it isn't working at the moment. So, looks like some kind of contact problem maybe. My DRL is on and I'm wondering if they're connected in any way but I don't think they are.

NDNV, I'll try to check it tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

DRL should be completely separate and unrelated, search threads here I think there are several about resoldering the board components in the controller

Dome light circuit is grounded via its mounting screws, remove lens and make sure they aren't loose

or remove the dome light assembly and backprobe the harness connector to figure out if one power source or the other is missing at the time the light is inoperative

EDIT: Harness has one constant power wire and one switched ground wire, and the housing is still grounded through the mounting screws

Last edited by ezone; 06-01-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Sometimes the door plunger type switches on the chassis can get mangled from an errant seatbelt caught in the door when closing. This could cause the dome light not to operate when opening the door. Try the passenger's door to see if any difference or just check that the driver's door switch is OK. Just another possibility.