Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

Car won't release key from ignition. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRCornelis is an unknown quantity at this point
Car won't release key from ignition. HELP

Now, a new problem…
The Civic won’t let me take my key out of the ignition once I’m ready to leave.
I will stop in a parking place, then put the transmission on ‘P’ and then apply the e-brake, finally, turn off the car, but the key car won’t let me turn the key all the way to the OFF position where you push, and release the key… The only way I can remove it is, when this happens, I will have to put the car on ACC position on the ignition, step the brake, press the “unlock” button from the gear console (removing the plastic lid on the center console), pressing that while I play with the gear lever from P, to D, a couple of times while I am pressing that “emergency button” THEN, I after returning to P again it will unlock and let me turn the key all the way so I can remove it. Now…this only happens some times, not all the time. I never have problems putting the car into D, N, P or R… that is very smooth as always… only when I want to remove the key.

One thing that might be worth saying… over two months ago, I (myself) installed a new security system with remote starter with the bypass module (to bypass the immobilizer) in order to make the remote start work without the actual key… that works perfectly fine, and the KEY not coming out problem started to happen like one week ago… it never happen all these two months after I installed the Viper 5901 which make me believe that there is no connections with that… anyways….

What can I do? I refuse to go to the dealer where they are going to rip me off… I would like to know if that is something I have to deal on the gear console, or on the column under the steering wheel, I’m completely clueless in this one. Any help, input, comment will be more than appreciated… thank you guys!...

FRC.-
Old 10-22-2009
Registered!!

FRCornelis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Car won't release key from ignition. HELP

mmmmmmh.... I guess am alone in this one..... lol
Old 10-22-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well it seems like its a problem with the "safety switch" which does not let you remove the key if you are not in park. if the switch is broken, then the car thinks that it is still in gear and will lock the key from being removed. this is different than the brake lockout mechanism, which does not let you shift out of park unless your foot is on the brake. im not sure how you go about fixing it tho or where its located.
Old 12-13-2015
Registered!!

Pumpkin777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do u still have this problem with your Honda Civic? I just experienced this for the first time this week. How did you correct the issue?
Originally Posted by FRCornelis
Now, a new problem…
The Civic won’t let me take my key out of the ignition once I’m ready to leave.
I will stop in a parking place, then put the transmission on ‘P’ and then apply the e-brake, finally, turn off the car, but the key car won’t let me turn the key all the way to the OFF position where you push, and release the key… The only way I can remove it is, when this happens, I will have to put the car on ACC position on the ignition, step the brake, press the “unlock” button from the gear console (removing the plastic lid on the center console), pressing that while I play with the gear lever from P, to D, a couple of times while I am pressing that “emergency button” THEN, I after returning to P again it will unlock and let me turn the key all the way so I can remove it. Now…this only happens some times, not all the time. I never have problems putting the car into D, N, P or R… that is very smooth as always… only when I want to remove the key.

One thing that might be worth saying… over two months ago, I (myself) installed a new security system with remote starter with the bypass module (to bypass the immobilizer) in order to make the remote start work without the actual key… that works perfectly fine, and the KEY not coming out problem started to happen like one week ago… it never happen all these two months after I installed the Viper 5901 which make me believe that there is no connections with that… anyways….

What can I do? I refuse to go to the dealer where they are going to rip me off… I would like to know if that is something I have to deal on the gear console, or on the column under the steering wheel, I’m completely clueless in this one. Any help, input, comment will be more than appreciated… thank you guys!...

FRC.-