Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Wheel Hop at low speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021
Registered!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Millsy088 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Wheel Hop at low speeds?

Hi there, so just starting today I've noticed that accelerating normally from a standstill causes my front right wheel to "skip" or "hop" thats how it feels anyway, this happens from standstill up until the clutch has been fully released for maybe half a second. this is quite perplexing to me as when doing "launches" or harder acceleration the issue is much less noticeable if at all. the condition of the tires is fine, however I haven't yet check the specific pressure in that tire. any ideas? Note: does not happen when turning at low speeds.
Old 11-18-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,311 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Wheel Hop at low speeds?

Wheel hop only occurs are relatively low speeds. If the wheel is spinning fast enough wheel hop will no longer occur. That's completely normal.

Ever watched tractor/truck pulls? Once they get up to a decent speed it's just wheel spin, but once they start slowing down you will start to see wheel hop. They must be careful. Due to the high HP/torque and high forces wheel hop can break things quickly.
The following users liked this post:
Millsy088 (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Wheel hop only occurs are relatively low speeds. If the wheel is spinning fast enough wheel hop will no longer occur. That's completely normal.

Ever watched tractor/truck pulls? Once they get up to a decent speed it's just wheel spin, but once they start slowing down you will start to see wheel hop. They must be careful. Due to the high HP/torque and high forces wheel hop can break things quickly.
yeah that makes sense i guess, the only reason i thought to ask is because i never noticed it happening until today, its always the right wheel and it occurs even when accelerating slowly, and i havent changed my driving style since yesterday hahaha. is it possible i could have worn something out? as yesterday i was doing lots of really steep hill start practices for my license test, (which i passed today!)
Old 11-18-2021
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Millsy088
its always the right wheel and it occurs even when accelerating slowly
You're breaking the wheels loose while slowly accelerating? Sure it's actual wheel hop? Open diff so only one side spinning is normal.
Old 11-18-2021
Registered!!

You're breaking the wheels loose while slowly accelerating? Sure it's actual wheel hop? Open diff so only one side spinning is normal.
see this is exactly what doesn't make sense, it feels like a shudder or hopping/skipping on the right side of the car, it feels like the right wheel, the only way i can avoid this is by accelerating very slowly, like creeping in traffic, and i havent encountered this issue before, apart from fast acceleration where i would expect it to happen
Old 11-18-2021
Super Moderator

With the D17 on dry roads you won't break the wheels loose unless you dump the clutch in 1st gear. Punching the throttle in 1st gear won't even break them loose. When accelerating quickly everything should be smooth, meaning no skipping/hopping. I suspect something else is going on here.

How do your CV joint boots look? No movement in the wheel bearing? Suspension in order? (ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar links)
Millsy088 (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021
Registered!!

With the D17 on dry roads you won't break the wheels loose unless you dump the clutch in 1st gear. Punching the throttle in 1st gear won't even break them loose. When accelerating quickly everything should be smooth, meaning no skipping/hopping. I suspect something else is going on here.

How do your CV joint boots look? No movement in the wheel bearing? Suspension in order? (ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar links)
Honestly, I'm not sure what they should look like, but i'll get the car up on jackstands and give the wheel a wiggle and have a look around, although im not sure i'd be able to tell if something is wrong. i'll take some photos when i do and hopefully they'll show us something.
Old 11-19-2021
Super Moderator

May need a video to help diagnose if there's noise.

-CV axle boots, make sure they're not torn and throwing grease all over the place.
-Wheel bearing, with it up on jack stands wiggle the wheel around. There should be no movement other than rotation and when the steering rack is moving. No grinding/moaning noises when rotating.
-Ball joints, check the boot. Make sure it isn't torn/leaking. Also, with the car on jack stand put your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock on the wheel. Push with one hand and pull with the other, there should be no movement.
-Control arm bushings, front one usually is the bad one. Rubber will be completely ripped allowing unwanted movement.
-Sway bar links, check the boots. Use your hand or a pry bar, there should be no movement (besides rotation) in the joint parts.
Millsy088 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-19-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,202 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

or you need new shocks
The following 2 users liked this post by sdaidoji:
BrotatoChip (11-19-2021), Millsy088 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021
Registered!!

May need a video to help diagnose if there's noise.

-CV axle boots, make sure they're not torn and throwing grease all over the place.
-Wheel bearing, with it up on jack stands wiggle the wheel around. There should be no movement other than rotation and when the steering rack is moving. No grinding/moaning noises when rotating.
-Ball joints, check the boot. Make sure it isn't torn/leaking. Also, with the car on jack stand put your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock on the wheel. Push with one hand and pull with the other, there should be no movement.
-Control arm bushings, front one usually is the bad one. Rubber will be completely ripped allowing unwanted movement.
-Sway bar links, check the boots. Use your hand or a pry bar, there should be no movement (besides rotation) in the joint parts.
its kinda strange because i looked around and it looked mostly okay, but i then forgot about it because it stopped happening, so im not sure hahaha
Old 11-23-2021
Registered!!

everything down there look alright apart from this, im not sure how much of an issue that is?

Old 11-23-2021
Super Moderator

That is the front lower control arm bushing. If it were bad enough to make noise the middle section would be completely separated from the outside.

Intermittent issues are never fun to troubleshoot
Millsy088 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021
Registered!!

That is the front lower control arm bushing. If it were bad enough to make noise the middle section would be completely separated from the outside.

Intermittent issues are never fun to troubleshoot
yep hahaha, i guess ill let it be until i start upgrading things, then when it finally stops ill know what caused it