Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Subframe question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02civilx is an unknown quantity at this point
Subframe question

So my 02 lx subframe is in fact bent. I know 01 to 05 2 and 4 door is the Sam subframe. My car is manual transmission. Can a automatic transmission subframe work? All the salvage yards only have automatic cars
Old 04-24-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Subframe question

The torque mounts are different for the manual subframe.

I can't remember if it's the bracket position on the frame, or the mounts, but they are different.

Perhaps check to see if the two frames have different part numbers.
Old 04-24-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Honda parts catalog gives different part numbers for subframe regarding auto and cvt trans vs. manual trans, but it does not tell what the differences are. (I only looked up a 2002 with 4 doors)

Any salvage yard should have access to an interchange guide (Hollander is a popular company for that guide), I would hope someone can check it and tell you if the auto subframe can be used on a manual car
Old 05-02-2019
Registered!!

do I need to remove the engine and trans to replace the subframe or can I just support them with a brace that goes across the fenders?
Old 05-02-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The subframe only has two of the four engine/trans mounts. If you drop the subframe the engine may want to lean forward or back some but it will not come out. I've never done it but I wouldn't be pulling the engine to replace the subframe unless absolutely necessary.
Old 05-02-2019

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Enginge/trans sit on the engine mounts which are bolted to the frame, so no, you don't need to remove them.

Its really easy to remove the subframe, even though the list looks long

-jack up car
-place on stand
-remove skid plate
-removing front end may help
-unclip O2 sensors
-unbolt header
-unplug the exhaust from the rubber hangers (wd40 helps)
-pull exhaust back (no need to compleatly remove)
-remove ball joint castle nut pins and nuts

-buy/rent ball joint extraction clamp!!!!
You can try using a jack but it's a pain in the *** sometimes.

(you can try a hammer but it usually goes bad and destroys the threading, and a ball joint fork rips the grease boot; then you have to buy new ball joints and have them pressed in)

-unbolt the small retaining brackets from subframe to frame (black, about 1"x3")

-have something ready to catch the sub frame like wood blocks, sand bags, jacks...

-unbolt the main four bolts that secure the subframe to the frame.

You're done!

-when reinstalling the frame I like to support one end of the subframe with blocks, as close to the frame as possible, then use a jack to lift the other side. This let's you be able to roll the subframe around a bit to line up the bolt holes.
Old 05-06-2019
Registered!!

if I buy a automatic subframe, the mount that's in the wrong spot, could I cut it off and relocate it to the proper spot and re weld it?
Old 05-06-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Potentially, how good are your welding skills?
Old 05-07-2019
Registered!!

my co worker is a beast at welding. im gonna give him a Benjamin and he said he will hook me up
Old 05-08-2019

...its going to be a pain in the *** that way. It needs to sit perfectly, which means you're going to have to place the mount on the transmission, lift the subframe up, mark the location, and try to weld it in after taking the subframe back down.

The subframe is also bent at odd angles. So you'll probably have to use custom splints of metal/custom cutting, to get the mount to seat properly for welding.

You're probably looking at 8-10 hours of work.
Old 05-09-2019
Registered!!

I just ordered a manual transmission subframe ill have it Monday. probally take what 4 hours of my time? im highly mechanically inclined just never done a subframe on my personal car and wanna make sure I do it perfect lol
Old 05-09-2019

1-2 hours for straight swap if nothing goes wrong like the ball joints being fussed in, or snapping an exhaust bolt.
Old 05-09-2019
Registered!!

sounds like a fun night
Old 05-09-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you'll find the yard left the LCAs on the frame you get and they still have good bushings ....that could save a little bit of time

If you have to use your original LCAs make sure you don't tighten the bolts for the rear bushings with the wheels in the air.......the bolts need to be tightened with the cars weight on the suspension so the arms are at normal ride position

wheel alignment should be done after the new subframe is installed too
Old 05-10-2019
Registered!!

so just snug the rear bushings bolts down than torque them with the wheels on the ground
Old 05-10-2019

Originally Posted by 02civilx
so just snug the rear bushings bolts

Then set the car on the ground and roll it back and forth a few feet to settle the suspension
Loosen the control arm pivot bolts,
Then torque the bolts to spec.

The intent here is to clamp the bushing when the control arm is positioned where it will spend most of its​ life.