Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
halava is an unknown quantity at this point
Struts

Good day, gentlemen. I have recently purchased a 2001 Honda Civic LX standard transmission with 181,000 miles. I need new struts for the two front wheels. I won't be doing the work myself, but will be purchasing the parts. As you know, I have the option of just buying struts or buying the full assembly with shocks and mounts. I don't have top money to spend but also don't want to get the cheapest quality out there. Looking for advice on what brands are good and also where to buy them. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-10-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Struts

Originally Posted by halava
I don't have top money to spend but also don't want to get the cheapest quality out there. Looking for advice on what brands are good and also where to buy them. Thank you in advance.
Hi! Coilovers tend to be expensive so replacing the struts is the way to go. Tokico HP (blue) are considered OEM replacement. You can find a pair on eBay in the $200s.
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

PatrickR is an unknown quantity at this point

Struts work best. If you are having someone else perform the work is going to cost more $$$ for you. Tokico, Koni, or KYB are all great brand. Changing them yourself will save you $$.

02 civic (night rider)
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

Thank you very much, gentlemen. I would love to save the money and do the work myself but I am not that mechanically knowledgeable and don't have any tools. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I guess I will replace the whole strut assembly.
Old 03-11-2016
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by halava
Thank you very much, gentlemen. I would love to save the money and do the work myself but I am not that mechanically knowledgeable and don't have any tools. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I guess I will replace the whole strut assembly.
Remember, your springs should be good for the lifetime of the car. Make sure you replace the "hats" as well! At least parts 10&11 here:
http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...n=&b=B++28&dl=
Old 03-12-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
Remember, your springs should be good for the lifetime of the car. Make sure you replace the "hats" as well! At least parts 10&11 here:
http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...n=&b=B++28&dl=
Are the 'hats' possibly called the 'mounts' as well? When I buy the whole assembly, it comes with springs (with strut and mount, of course ) Are you saying I don't need to replace the spring and should just buy struts, and 'hats'? Also I hear replacing the whole assembly is less work and therefore cheaper to do.