Brakes Post Your questions about brakes here!

Rear shoes, drum, total screw up. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
Thumbs down Rear shoes, drum, total screw up. HELP!

Hi all,

I followed the shoes, drum replacement DIY to open up the drum. Then I noticed my shoes are almost new (@ 90000Km). I thought since I opened the drum, I might as well clean the inside.

When I was finished, I made a terrible mistake. I step on the break before putting back the drum. The self-adjust system extented to it max and I could no longer put back the drum.

Due to lack of knowledge with the self-adjust sytem, I try to push the shoes back, then I blow the cynlinder. It pucked a lot of oil.

Now my shoes are still extented, so I can't put drum back. In addition, the cylinder also died.

I need help! what can we do to reset the self- adj system back without disassemble the whole system?

Also, since I destoryed the cynlinder, does it mean I lost the ability to excercice rear brake?

Old 04-22-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The self adjust is buried, and you'll have to take it all apart. If you popped one side of the cylinder out, just pop it back in and reseat the seal. Also make sure your e-brake isn't pulled. If you got the drum off, you should get it back on.
Old 04-22-2006
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
Thanks!

Will the car be leaking brake fluid after this accident?
Old 04-22-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
not if you didn't trash the O-ring seals.
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

I just know that one of the cynlinder actually came out, fell out, along with oil.

When you say seal, do you mean the plastic ring that is on the surface of the cynlinder itslef?

ok, I think the cynlinder is leaking. And brake petal is spongy now.

Will I lose all my brake fluid in no time?

Do I need to replace the whole cylinder or I can just replace the piston that poped?

thanks

Last edited by orion_squall; 04-23-2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost