Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

metal on metal sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Logankelsey is an unknown quantity at this point
metal on metal sound

Just installed a "new to you" manual 5 speed in my Civic. Install went great! Sub frame and all. Took it out for test drive and shifts awesome with new clutch and fly wheel. BUT,.... there is a funny noise in first and second gear when decelerating at low speeds?? Very low sounding rub noise, but when you accelerate sound is gone! Also, when you push the clutch in,......sound is gone? The sound is like a bent dust plate rubbing on a brake rotor. Any ideas from all you civic folks??
Old 05-07-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: metal on metal sound

Check the dust shields, check the other wheels as well
Old 05-07-2022
Registered!!

Jacked up the car, spun the front wheels no noise from dust shields, for sure noise is still there but gone when clutch pedal is pushed in
Old 05-07-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you might need to open it up again...
Old 05-08-2022

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Logankelsey
Jacked up the car, spun the front wheels no noise from dust shields, for sure noise is still there but gone when clutch pedal is pushed in
Input shaft bearing
Old 05-08-2022
Registered!!

input shaft bearing? buyer beware I guess. very strange its only is heard when no load is put on tranny and stops when clutch is depressed between 1st and 2nd. Thanks for the intel. I bought the tranny from wreckers, paid a little extra cause it was sitting on shelf ready for install, said 30 day warranty, so Im going to bring car to them, maybe they will honour a refund??? Thanks for info
Old 05-08-2022

Unfortunately it's pretty common with the 7th gens
more info here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...save-some.html
Old 05-08-2022
Registered!!

Hey Colin42 thanks for the link
this was sent in your link - -put the car into neutral, and take your foot off the clutch pedal
---- if you hear the noise now, it is the INPUT SHAFT BEARING. if you press in the clutch, the noise should go away.

my Civic problem --- car in neutral, foot off the clutch pedal, no noise --- put car in gear, clutch in, no noise --- drive the car in 1st or 2nd gear,.... take your foot off the accelerator ----- noise ---- press in clutch no noise
got me
Old 05-08-2022

Maybe one of the other bearings in the trans then
Old 05-08-2022
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

See what happens when you go back to the junkyard. Sounds like either a failed bearing like Colin mentioned or one of the internal shafts are misaligned, making contact with 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 05-08-2022
Registered!!

I hope they honour what they said "If problem with tranny, 100% money back" !! But to me, they always say "it must of been the install" and they give you the input shaft alright!!!!
Crappy part is, I took my time, cleaned all the parts, was very thorough. Put in knew clutch, flywheel turned, ball joints, lower control arm bushings, struts, brakes and rotors, oil pan gasket, rear main seal and 2 motor mounts. Was all excited that the "PLAN" came together. Started the car, went for a drive, shifted beautiful, no leaks, clutch felt great then,......slowed to a stop sign in gear, foot off the throttle and heard the grind???!!! WTF!!
Now I will drive it with the stereo turned up. I do not want to go through that again! Hopefully get my money back, but I doubt it? The tranny was bought from a junkyard dog!! Grrrrrr.