Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Clunking noise on Low RPMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Perfectionist is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Clunking noise on Low RPMS

Honda Civic 2004, Anytime I'm in low RPMS I start to hear a clunking noise on my front passenger side. The Lower the Gear while in low RPMS, the more apparent it gets. Usually the clunking lasts 1 second in 2-3 second increments. If I'm driving it Like I normally should in the correct RPMS, I dont notice it but it didnt make this sound before I swapped out a Refurbished CV axle, Throw Out bearing, Clutch kit, bled the brakes, and opened up the transmission. Nearly Everything was torqued to Spec. My clutch is a little flat and I still need to bleed it some more but any ideas on what could cause this? Being that it progressively gets worse from 1st-5th gear I dont think I damaged the transmission but I'm thinking maybe I got a bad refurbished CV axle? I'll be taking out the cv axle tomorrow to see if there is any apparent damage.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I want to add that it shifts into gear no problem as well.
Old 07-17-2020
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Clunking noise on Low RPMS

moving thread out of DIY, not and DIY article.
Old 07-17-2020
Registered!!

no bites....time to take her apart.
Old 07-17-2020
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

It does it regardless of speed? For example, it'll do it in first gear at 2000rpm at 5mph but also 5th gear at 2000rpm doing 40mph?
The following users liked this post:
Perfectionist (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
It does it regardless of speed? For example, it'll do it in first gear at 2000rpm at 5mph but also 5th gear at 2000rpm doing 40mph?
Exactly, except for reverse. I don't hear anything noticeable when I'm in reverse. In reality I never actually drive like that but I'm nervous it might be an underlying problem that will end up screwing something up over time. Before I had put the wheels back on, I tested out the gears with my car jacked up, and 5th in a very low RPM sounded like metal scrapping concrete.Not good.

Any ideas?
Old 07-18-2020
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Just sounds like a tired transmission to me. I’d suggest throw-out bearing if you hadn’t replaced it already but obviously that’s not it.

CV axle usually only make noise at low speed.
Old 07-18-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
Just sounds like a tired transmission to me. I’d suggest throw-out bearing if you hadn’t replaced it already but obviously that’s not it.

CV axle usually only make noise at low speed.
I took the transmission apart and accessed it and it shifted easily. Maybe I knocked the throw out bearing when I was reinstalling it. What I'm going to end up doing is propping the car up again with the wheels off, having someone accelerate while I listen closely.

We will see.
Old 07-25-2020
Registered!!

So I'm back on this fun little disaster again, this time. I jacked the car up. Had someone shift into 1-5 at low rpms and laid right underneath the transmission. I couldn't hear any weird sounds, it sounded good. Thought it went away, then I asked the driver and he said he could hear it. As if something was loose near or in the transmission. I have no idea and I'm about to give up tbh.
Old 07-26-2020
Registered!!

I just had this random thought...what if my motor mounts are bad?! Could that cause the engine to shift to the point that I'd be getting a grinding sound. Whats weird is I cant hear anything noticeable from outside of the car but its very very noticeable from inside the car.
Old 07-26-2020
Registered!!

UPDATE!!! I am so happy to say that, I ended up taking out the CV axle once again, having someone help me. While I put pressure on the transmission end, I had someone use a rubber mallet on the other end knocking it in no problem.

THE SOUND IS GONE!!

What is strange is when I took it out, there was zero scrapping, or damage on the threads but for some reason, the noise is gone when I put the cv axle back in. For now, the problem is solved. Thank you. I can finally move on to the next project.