Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Assistance urgently required.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tscomputers is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings and salutations. I have a 2001 honda civic ex with an auto tranny. (BMXA) I got it for cheap because the mechanic my mother took it to put in the wrong transmission fluid (cvt fluid) which killed the first tranny. [Already tried receiving repair or reimbursements, but shop refuses to admit fault...] So, I pulled a tranny from a you-pull-it yard (made certain it was also BMXA) and put it in by myself. Now the shift indicator is not properly aligned. Suspecting the neutral safety switch I took it off and tested it (as well as the one I pulled off of the old tranny) and everything checks out, continuity at the correct pins for the correlating sensor position. However, once the harness is re-attached and I check it with my multimeter it reads that it is in P when it is in N, and vice versa. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-14-2019
Registered!!

Greetings and salutations. I have a 2001 honda civic ex with an auto tranny. (BMXA) I got it for cheap because the mechanic my mother took it to put in the wrong transmission fluid (cvt fluid) which killed the first tranny. [Already tried receiving repair or reimbursements, but shop refuses to admit fault...] So, I pulled a tranny from a you-pull-it yard (made certain it was also BMXA) and put it in by myself. Now the shift indicator is not properly aligned. Suspecting the neutral safety switch I took it off and tested it (as well as the one I pulled off of the old tranny) and everything checks out, continuity at the correct pins for the correlating sensor position. However, once the harness is re-attached and I check it with my multimeter it reads that it is in P when it is in N, and vice versa. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[Also posted this in the tranny swap section, but then realised that is for AT to MT conversions. Also car is throwing CEL: P0730]

Old 08-14-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Assistance urgently required.

Can you use the shifter over ride to reposition it?

Its located under a small 1/4"×1/2" rectangular piece. You can use a screwdriver or your keys to depress it.
Old 08-14-2019
Registered!!

Yes, the override does work to shift the gears.
Old 08-14-2019
Registered!!

Sorry if I was unclear. The transmission itself shifts through the gears via gearshift fine, however indicators do not line up with the current gear position. I put the transmission in neutral and also made certain the neutral safety switch (aka tranmission gear position sensor/indicator or transmission range switch) was also in neutral with my multimeter readining continuity at leads 4, 5 and 7 on the switch itself. The harness that leads from the switch is giving me readings for P (continuity at leads 1, 3 and 8) when in neutral which should read continuity via leads 1, 3 and 10. Also CEL indicates P0730 incorrect gear ratio, which I understand simply means the transmission is slipping due to something.
Old 08-14-2019
Registered!!

I think I forgot to mention that when I took the car for a test drive everything seemed to work at first despite the indicators not lining up with the transmission position. However after about 10 miles, it went into limp home mode, slipping and eventual non-engagement of third gear, had to come home in second gear. (Made sure the vehicle never hit 4k+ on the tachometer so as not to do damage to the engine as well.) No slipping on downshifting or 1-2.
Old 08-14-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

you may need to adjust the shift cable on the trans
Old 08-14-2019
Registered!!

That was also on my list as I had a difficult time installing it. How would I go about adjusting it for proper positioning? Sorry for the newb questions, this is my first transmission installation. [I generally only work with computers, cell phones, laptops and small to large appliances.]
Old 08-14-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

i've only had to do it in a 6th gen (96-00) but it should be similar.
trans and shifter both in neutral with the cable disconnected at the adjustment side
adjust cable so it lines up perfectly
Old 08-14-2019
Registered!!

Okay, so to make sure I understand, you mean (1) the cable that hooks up to the transmission underneath the car that's covered by a couple little metal shrouds? Or (2) inside the cab, the one that hooks up to the shifter? Or (3) some other one entirely?

We've got a tornado-producing storm system inbound so I won't be able to work on the vehicle until it has subsided, probably in the morning, but I really appreciate all these pointers.
Old 08-14-2019

That should be one cable that starts at the shifter, passes through a grommet to exit the body, and then ends at the trans
Old 08-14-2019
Registered!!

Okay, and I just adjust it from inside the cab after taking that little plastic shroud off from around the shifter? Or do I adjust it from underneath the vehicle?
Old 08-15-2019

adjustment side should be by the shifter (inside)
Old 08-15-2019
Registered!!

Alrighty then, I will update once I have eliminated all possibilities. Thank you.