Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Best Tranny fluid (automatic)?

Old 08-01-2005
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Best Tranny fluid (automatic)?

I got an auto with 58,000 miles

I got the tranny fluid changed at like 20 and again recently...

ive been noticing that the tranny feels weird? sometimes feels as if it slips or just tugs or something (always when it gets into 3rd)

anyways...

I remember when i changed the tranny fluid it kinda stopped/didnt do it as much

but now, its doing it as much as it did before

I would hate to have to change the tranny fluid every time i change the oil on my car (ever 2k miles)

I use the OEM tranny fluid/red? liquid

Maybe its my tranny? How would I go about getting it fixed? how much am I looking at?
Old 08-01-2005
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
moved to the Fuel, Oils, Cleaners and Other Maintenance forum
Old 08-01-2005
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Didnt even know of this section :O
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

TSSCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
If it feels like it slips then most likely it's the tranny damage. Is there any some kind of noise from the transmission?
Old 08-02-2005
Banned

nope no noise...

i brought it to my mechanic and we checked it out and it looks fine?

Im guessing we have to open it up and check it out? how much would something like that cost?
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
when we had to fix our camry's tranny it costed us about $1100-1500
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

meseetree is on a distinguished road
first don't change the fluid every 2k. it needs to break down before changing. my tranny is slipping but thats because i'm boosting too much.
the fluid to use in my opinion is hondas because they have a weird ATF and in our tranny it's not good to run anything else. i think armsoil makes a good tranny fluid with the same ATF but i'm not sure.
i ran a synthetic blend in my tranny for about 4 thousand miles and after looking at the two the chemical comp was totally different so i said never again unless it's the same ATF-Z1 is what honda uses.
what does wonders though is lube guard. the stuff does wonders on auto trannys but it can't be found in a store only online. i'll try and find a link to it later today.
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

ironcow is on a distinguished road
honda is the best for fluids..oem that is
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

midnightblueEX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
theres a big difference between slipping and what you called tugging.. My auto tranny sometimes bumps if u slow down and speed up without letting it shift completely. thats not slipping though.
Old 08-04-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
RedLine is good stuff, best IMO. Not sure if they make it for civic's though, it's worth checking out.

You may want to consider a complete tranny flush.
Old 08-07-2005
Banned

how much would a tranny flush cost? and what exactly is that?
Old 08-08-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ImPulse
how much would a tranny flush cost? and what exactly is that?
Not sure of the cost, it's generally under $100 though. The differance is, when you drain the tranny fluid, you are actually only getting about half the fluid out (if that) so half the fluid in the system is the old stuff. A tranny flush is where they take the inlet and put new stuff in and the car pumps the old stuff out. A good garage will continue to put new stuff in untill the stuff coming out looks like the new stuff, so then ALL the fluid in your tranny is new. If they have a good machine, it can filter out the fluid coming out of your tranny to check for metal.
Old 08-09-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
OEM OEM OEM HONDA ATF FLUID. nOTHING ELSE! DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANNY ONLY DRAIN AND REFILL. When you flush out all the fluid and fill it with new, there will be parts moving WITHOUT ANY OIL when you start the car up.
Old 08-09-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
OEM OEM OEM HONDA ATF FLUID. nOTHING ELSE! DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANNY ONLY DRAIN AND REFILL. When you flush out all the fluid and fill it with new, there will be parts moving WITHOUT ANY OIL when you start the car up.
No, that's not how a flush works. A good garage should have the car running while they are flushing it out, the car remains in neutral and pumps the fluid out, and at the same time the extrenal machine pumps the fluid in so there is a contant amount in the tranny, think of a blodd transfusion. It's not like the doctor's are going to leave you without blood.

As for fluid, you can't go wrong with OEM, I personally like Red Line, but I never had a Honda auto that I changed the fluid in. So gearbox knows more than me on that
Old 08-09-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
The auto tranny is very sensitive and only the honda atf has the molecular makeup that can lubricate the small parts. Almost everyone that poured in mobil or redline had the tranny blow in 10-20k miles after.
As for the fluid flush, I guess I asked around the wrong shops. They all told me (even honda), that the flush is done with the car off.
Old 08-09-2005

The auto tranny is very sensitive and only the honda atf has the molecular makeup that can lubricate the small parts. Almost everyone that poured in mobil or redline had the tranny blow in 10-20k miles after.
As for the fluid flush, I guess I asked around the wrong shops. They all told me (even honda), that the flush is done with the car off.
Hummm.... the only car I had it done on was my Intrepid, and they kept it running in neutral. I wouldn't go to a shop if they where going to turn it off because then it's just basically a drain and fill.
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

MarkM01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Amsoil meets Hoda spec for these cars. If you want to use a Synthetic, make sure it meets the Honda specs.

I've been using it for 30k miles now, no problems. Drained and filled twice.
Old 08-09-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I gotta say with myself running 12 psi of boost on a re-built TCI auto tranny that RED LINE is the best fluid to put in there
Old 08-09-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
i remember when i changed my fluid i looked around on here and found a thread somewhere telling us about how it was bad for our trannys to get a flush cuz the flush is pressurized and the seals and such shouldn't take the pressure whereas a auto tranny for a v8 is built for more power and has stronger seals
Old 08-09-2005

Originally Posted by booba5185
i remember when i changed my fluid i looked around on here and found a thread somewhere telling us about how it was bad for our trannys to get a flush cuz the flush is pressurized and the seals and such shouldn't take the pressure whereas a auto tranny for a v8 is built for more power and has stronger seals
Hummm... that's interesting. The interpid's are known for bad trannies, and I heard nothing of that. It was my impression that the system didn't put any pressure on the tranny, the tranny pumped out the fluid at it's own pressure and the system just refilled it at the same rate it was coming out.

Given all the things people have said on here, I would think twice before flushing the tranny out now and certianly ask the people doing it if how the system worked. Maybe the better choice is just to do a drain and fill a couple of times until the stuff coming out looks new and drive the car between each so it can get fixed up . Then you will be able to dillute the old stuff to the point where it won't matter much.
Old 08-09-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Maybe the better choice is just to do a drain and fill a couple of times until the stuff coming out looks new and drive the car between each so it can get fixed up . Then you will be able to dillute the old stuff to the point where it won't matter much.
thats what honda recommends
Old 08-09-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Hummm... that's interesting. The interpid's are known for bad trannies, and I heard nothing of that. It was my impression that the system didn't put any pressure on the tranny, the tranny pumped out the fluid at it's own pressure and the system just refilled it at the same rate it was coming out.

Given all the things people have said on here, I would think twice before flushing the tranny out now and certianly ask the people doing it if how the system worked. Maybe the better choice is just to do a drain and fill a couple of times until the stuff coming out looks new and drive the car between each so it can get fixed up . Then you will be able to dillute the old stuff to the point where it won't matter much.
exactly what i was going to say 2 or 3 times is best, 5 at most, and make sure that you clean off the end of the drain bolt, thats honda's attempt at a filter, a magnet on a bolt
Old 08-09-2005

thats what honda recommends

Well, like I always say, Honda won't steer you wrong, they spent millions devolping the civic, knowbody knows the car better than them. If they say to do that, it's probably best to go with a multi flush.
Old 08-09-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

u want it run a little between each drain so it mixxes with the old
Old 08-09-2005
Premium Member

yea. i just get it done once but i do it more often every 10k. Around that time, the shift quality starts to go down anyway.
Old 08-09-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

that makes me wonder if u change it as often as you do if u would still need to drain and refill that many times cuz your changing it in a 1/3 the manual recomends? i guess i'll have to do it and every 10k i'll lok at the fluid when i change it and record it on here?
Old 08-09-2005
Premium Member

I waited til 18k which was a big mistake. the fluid was black instead of red with tons of metal on the bolt. Been doing it every 10k since and the fluid stays red. I think when it breaks in, the tranny wears faster at first.
Old 08-09-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

yea, i'm gonna do mine on friday, it's been about 20k