Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Mechanical issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic4door is an unknown quantity at this point
Mechanical issues

New poster, sorry if there is an answer to it on another thread. Please direct me to the thread if there is one.

So, backstory...I just bought this 2004 5 Speed civic 4 door. I was told it sat for about a year. I test drove it the week before and it sounded fine. Got it up to hwy speeds and had no issues. This week I bought it drove it to the road and called a tow truck. I noticed a grinding noise at the low speed I was traveling at. Then I got it towed about 30km home via wheel-lift truck because it wasn't registered. I got it home drove it into my garage and didn't notice any other sounds. Next morning I put the car up on jack stands, took off the tires and was ready to replace the brakes...I turned the steering wheel to access the caliper bracket bolts with a breaker bar and got them loose. Went to turn the steering wheel to do the other side and I hear a *crunch* and ball bearings came spilling onto the floor (drivers side). Now everyone I talk to says CV joint but I can't see anywhere the ball bearings could've come flying out???

Any ideas people of Civic Nation?
Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Mechanical issues

if they are the size of small marbles then it’s likely upper or lower cv joint that fell apart. Just because it still has a boot, doesn’t mean it’s not split open.

If they are the size of BB’s then maybe strut bearing.

Just be glad it didn’t happen while you were driving it.
Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

Thanks for the information. If you don't mind me asking another question...When trying to figure out what was crunching (turning the steering wheel slowly), I noticed the coil spring on the front drivers would jump as the crunch would happen. I don't know if that would be the cv joint transferring the energy to the coil spring or what. Also, the ball bearings are about 1/4" wide. That would be cv joint ball bearings then? Should I remove the cv boot to confirm our suspicions?

I didn't notice any tears in the cv boot, actually looked the newest on the whole car. But just because I didn't see it, doesn't mean that there isn't one

Last edited by Civic4door; 06-24-2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

The spring jumping is even more indication it’s likely the strut bearing that failed and fell apart.
Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

Tomorrow I will try to take out the strut assembly and see if that is the culprit. The flange nut and other parts are quite rusty but hopefully, PB Blaster will do the trick. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks, Slumpertcivic!
Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

Treat that strut like a loaded gun, do not put any body parts above it when removing and do not “look” down at the top ever on a rusted strut top.

That spring is dangerous within few inches.
Old 06-27-2019
Registered!!

Sorry I didn't respond for a few days. Been very busy with work. I was able to get the passenger side strut off yesterday. Just got off the driver side strut assembly and I found a strut bearing with only a few ball bearings left in it. So, thank you for wisdom Slumpertcivic! I have a new set on the way. I am getting the whole strut assembly because I have not compressed springs before and I would need to buy the tool. I think I would only be saving a little bit of money and these struts needed to be changed anyways. The car has 250k km and I doubt they were ever changed. While I wait for those, time to get working on the next thing. It seems I have a pooched oil pan that is leaking oil near the gasket and possibly some pin holes in the bottom of the pan. It seems that I have to tear the whole bottom end of the car out to get at all the pan bolts, but that is something for the weekend...